• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Storm OBS Thread

DCAlexandria

The Nam did well seeing the upside but only at around 24 hours out. It was the first to start spitting out pockets of 6"+ if I remember correctly. 
Our best snow fall map was our last one before storm and it wasn't even close lol

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

This is the first time I can remember an inverted trough verifying *south* of its modeled position. They are notorious for showing up north of guidance. Although I don’t have the photographic memory of our snow fails like others on here.

• Like 6

16.6” so far with light snow continuing. Low was 8.2 and currently a whopping 8.6. Wind, while of course adding to the arctic feel, has fortunately been less of a factor than I thought - strongest gust overnight was 32 mph but most times way less. Getting prepped to head to Canaan in a few for tubing. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

31 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Definitely an over performer. Estimating 15-18”+. Epic month of January for the mountains.

Light upslope snow and 7 degrees.

7d9fd1d32fe8024a7f357b641e15a8b9.jpg
44f8f692a23a8a962d39308402c895d8.jpg

Awesome, the mountains are having a great year! When we visited last year, there was only 4-6” on the ground with icy layer underneath, and that was in February!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ji said:

Our best snow fall map was our last one before storm and it wasn't even close lol

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Very true. All models failed miserably. I was more pointing out that the NAM was the first to hint at the higher upside potential.

Today is cold, don't get me wrong. But it's deep winter conditions up here with 7" snow depth, temps in the teens and blowing snow everywhere! 

@nj2va Making me jealous. We were going to come out for this storm seeing the upslope totals, but then it trended to give 4-6 to my area and the forecast was 8-12 out your way. That plus the negative wind chills made it a bit much for the kids, and only suitable for sickos like us. 

We might try Canaan area for one of those upslope snows. It's like a B grade LES experience which is still sick (especially when the radar shows nothing :lol:)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DDweatherman said:

Today is cold, don't get me wrong. But it's deep winter conditions up here with 7" snow depth, temps in the teens and blowing snow everywhere! 

@nj2va Making me jealous. We were going to come out for this storm seeing the upslope totals, but then it trended to give 4-6 to my area and the forecast was 8-12 out your way. That plus the negative wind chills made it a bit much for the kids, and only suitable for sickos like us. 

We might try Canaan area for one of those upslope snows. It's like a B grade LES experience which is still sick (especially when the radar shows nothing :lol:)

Yeah, I honestly was going to stay home since I was feeling lazy to make the drive but made a last minute decision at 5:30p Thursday to hit the road.  Definitely glad I did.  It’s been snowing all day long here with temps in the single digits (currently 5.8 degrees).  

You should definitely get out to Canaan for one of these…the ratios last night were easily 20-25:1.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nj2va said:

Yeah, I honestly was going to stay home since I was feeling lazy to make the drive but made a last minute decision at 5:30p Thursday to hit the road.  Definitely glad I did.  It’s been snowing all day long here with temps in the single digits (currently 5.8 degrees).  

You should definitely get out to Canaan for one of these…the ratios last night were easily 20-25:1.

They get that 5dbz or non visible snow on the radar that has crazy growth. Any idea how much they got in this one? They tend to do better than Garrett county by a bit? 

12 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Hold up. That map has FDK at over 6” with that storm. What the hell am I missing? There is no damn way I got that much snow. The radar even indicated we missed the best banding. I call significant BS on that. Unless this is both storms combined…then it would be low-balling. I’m beyond confused right now 

• Like 1