Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 19th Storm OBS Thread

DCAlexandria

6 minutes ago, wxmeddler said:

By 21z our Sfc-700 lapse rates go up to about 6.5°/km and 7.5°/km from sfc-850. Those are excellent values for this region.

Wow, I didn't think to look at those indices. That would really bring in some convective type activity. If you're under that with the UL forcing and the convection, rates will be great. 

Measurement area cleared again and measured an additional 1" since last clearing. Total of around 4" here in Colesville, MD so far. Radar looks more splotchy right now - but this is a great event given how it looked a mere few days ago. Wow! really pulling to get under a convective snow shower later on! 

9 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Wow, I didn't think to look at those indices. That would really bring in some convective type activity. If you're under that with the UL forcing and the convection, rates will be great. 

The HRRR runs all morning have been parking this narrow band over my yard this afternoon and sitting it there snowing itself out for a couple of hours.

Would be great if it’s on to something and my area can play catchup on accumulations. 

IMG_2425.jpeg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Actually I'm getting nervous about that... I was kinda holding out hope this next round might be decent up here but its starting to look like the next band wants to set up right where the last one did.  

It’s been pretty disappointing again up this way. Pretty, but definitely missed almost all the good stuff again. 

• Like 1

Just now, LeesburgWx said:

I live just past the Town Line of Hamilton near Purcellville. So like a 2-3 min drive to Purcellville. Pushing 5" here 

nice! CWG reported 5 in Leesburg on their recent post!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dailylurker said:

I've been getting hit hard this entire event. I'd estimate I'm up around 5 new. Probably 8 on the ground. It's been really impressive out here east of DC. Sorry, PSU. This is ours lol

I will answer for psu- his area and adjacent areas have missed any big ones for several years now while the immediate south has cashed.

• Like 2

Humans (at least in this forum) aren't the only ones who love to stare at the snow...although in fairness, Kona is also "stalking" backyard squirrels from her cozy perch at the end of the couch. Also, I never tire of looking at snow-blasted trees...ever.

Currently 30 degrees, went from pixie dust during the 7-10 a.m. timeframe, and it's been steady SN since around then. Haven't measured but I think we're just under 3"...I would've been happy with 1" forecasted as recently as yesterday afternoon. Could not possibly ask for a more perfect or beautiful winter day.

image.jpeg.0780d8ada01da1a0dd1061cf89a29e43.jpeg

image.jpeg.a06039b7eb93dd755cfdf8e7c7f8daea.jpeg

• Like 10