Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday, January 9 Rain and Wind Storm

Weather Will

5 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

For some reason that MDs citation of the "Sargasso Sea," with its reputation as being a mystically inescapable area, seems proper beyond the geospatial accuracy, for a day like today, with conditions right out of Shutter Island.

It's water blowing off the building you're in lol. Not snow.

It's getting pretty impressive here. I stopped at Bacon Ridge in Crownsville at a high spot (185-200'). The wind was roaring across the highest treetops on the ridge tops. It was calm in the wetlands down below. The creeks are definitely starting to flood. 

40 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Barely any wind up here so far, but easily the best overall rain I’ve seen in a year. We’ve had a few decent events the last few months, but it seems like Frederick has consistently been on the lower end of areawide totals. This one is a true drought denter.

Was just going to say that myself. Had to go out to the local Giant for a new lighter. With the wind advisory out remembered ours ran out a day ago and if we need candles lit that would have been an issue. Yes on the rain though. I have my station set to alert me when it hits an inch. Looking back at the data there have been 10 events, that includes today of over an inch recorded. Rainfall so far today is at 1.10".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Was just going to say that myself. Had to go out to the local Giant for a new lighter. With the wind advisory out remembered ours ran out a day ago and if we need candles lit that would have been an issue. Yes on the rain though. I have my station set to alert me when it hits an inch. Looking back at the data there have been 10 events, that includes today of over an inch recorded. Rainfall so far today is at 1.10".

Yea we're en route to 2".  Very efficient rain.  The lack of wind is odd, though.  I'm looking out my window and the trees are basically not moving lol.  I was just out, too, and it wasn't really all that breezy.  Maybe the valley is keeping that at bay for now.

• Like 1

I was out in Winchester and Strasburg early this morning. I knew there was a winter weather advisory but didn’t expect to wake up to much of anything so the pounding snow and sleet was a shock along with the sharp cutoff where it changed to rain to the east. I drove west from Strasburg this morning to western Frederick County Va before driving back into Winchester on rt 50 and then back to Maryland later. Roads were pretty bad. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Far more puddles than the previous storms over the past month.  We really are saturated now in the top levels of the soil.  Over an inch and plenty more on the way.

43 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Staring at the big turf field out my window and wondering if it might go underwater. Looks ~20% there

39 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Yep, plenty of ponding action. And now the wires are beginning to sway in the wind.

Worst case scenario on the way: lose power while the basement gets standing water, so that I can't use the sump pump or water vac to try and stay ahead of it. Well, not worst case; that would be if I slip in my dark basement and hit my head and off myself. At least then I wouldn't have to have an extended date with my water vac.  

28 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

Parts of the backyard converting to pond status here in silver spring. Wind getting a bit gustier.

Haven't seen ponding like this IMBY for about a decade. And yeah, REAL worried about a power outage...as I'll be right there with you, @09-10 analogy, manually baling out my 2 foot deep sump pit for however long the power is out. Rain is forecasted to die down around midnight, but knowing my sump pump and seeing the standing water already, it'll be doing overtime for the next 24 hours.  :( 

image.thumb.jpeg.f9c6e2d1be140fee4cbe662deddeaa33.jpeg

• Thanks 1

You can really hear the wind just off the surface now. Sounds like a jet engine. Going to come down to surface soon. Street lights are dancing in the wind. The ground is so wet there just water everywhere. The heavy rain later going to push it over the edge. 

• Like 1

You can really hear the wind just off the surface now. Sounds like a jet engine. Going to come down to surface soon. Street lights are dancing in the wind. The ground is so wet there just water everywhere. The heavy rain later going to push it over the edge. 

Location?

5 minutes ago, TSSN+ said:

I’m convinced you’re PSUs brother.

• Haha 1

Seems like a little lull in at least the rain coming up, but it's action-packed back to the SW along and south of I-64.

EDIT: Speaking of action-packed, quite a little severe outbreak going on in the Carolinas now. More or less unbroken line of STWs straight down from east of Charlottesville, down to Hilton Head and out to sea, then regaining land in Florida and stretching to Tampa Bay.

This is really a rather magnificent weather system.

image.png.5343672ebc7d1fa1bf47f3d505c89172.png

• Like 5

Picked up the kids from the bus stop and my 5th grader was *raging* at her strings concert being cancelled this evening. So I guess some students think it's dumb to cancel activities for gusty rain.

Was pouring and windy for a bit, but it's slowed down over the past few minutes. Looks like it should be pretty interesting with in the next hour.

• Like 1

Just now, mattie g said:

Picked up the kids from the bus stop and my 5th grader was *raging* at her strings concert being cancelled this evening. So I guess some students think it's dumb to cancel activities for gusty rain.

Was pouring and windy for a bit, but it's slowed down over the past few minutes. Looks like it should be pretty interesting with in the next hour.

Be honest, was that your proudest moment as a dad yet?  

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Our kids (and us) are of the same view as your 5th grader.  Seems silly to cancel activities and close school gyms for what is (so far) a pretty unremarkable rain and wind storm.  Perhaps it gets worse later, but after-school activities would be done by then.  

Obs: Some rain, some wind, some puddles.  51.8 degreees.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic