Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

3 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

I've never seen 25" fall from a storm.. Most is 18-20" quite a few times.  Unfortunately I was working in Norwalk for every flake of Nemo in Feb '13 when my area had 40" ... 

i know Ray’s had several 30 burgers so a 25 spot must not make his top 5 but regardless of personal experience, that amount is extraordinary for SNE climo. I mean, i’d do some really nasty things for 25”. I’ve only eclipsed that once in my lifetime…Jan96. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Verbatim it would be several inches in S CT extended out to 60 hours , but it's the HRRR at 48 hours at happy hour so it is what it is.. 

HRRR aside, it does seem like some minor changes make the difference between a light coating and a decently measurable event here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

I've never seen 25" fall from a storm.. Most is 18-20" quite a few times.  Unfortunately I was working in Norwalk for every flake of Nemo in Feb '13 when my area had 40" ... 

Feb ‘13 was 24” in Greenfield, my best storm since we moved here in 07/08. 

January 2005 was 30”+ in parts of Cambridge and Somerville.  Most I’ve ever recorded (32”) a top 3 storm for me. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

i know Ray’s had several 30 burgers so a 25 spot must not make his top 5 but regardless of personal experience, that amount is extraordinary for SNE climo. I mean, i’d do some really nasty things for 25”. I’ve only eclipsed that once in my lifetime…Jan96. 

Same here, 26.5" on 3/14-15/1984 in Fort Kent.  Reached 24.5" at my current residence on 2/22-23/2009, also 24" five times - one here, one in FK and 3 in NNJ between 3/56 and 2/61.  (That 2/3-4/61 depth involves guesswork due to high winds.  A nearby site recorded 27".)

2nd straight January with both temp and snowfall AN.  Last January was almost +9 for temps; this month will probably finish between 2 and 4 AN.

3 hours ago, CCHurricane said:

A once in a lifetime storm for in south eastern Massachusetts. 

2005Blizzard.PNG

I was at the house in Woods Hole for this one, planning to put up new gutters.  One of about 3 times I've been there when it snowed.  It was just stunning in the duality of ferocity and beauty.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

If you’re hoping for a prayer, the 18z HRRR would probably be an inch or two south of the pike 

29 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Prayer? That’s basically communion wafer crumbs. 

29 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Please RAI …. Don’t do it …… As always …..

IMG_7100.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Lol. Dim sun indeed 

Sure straight 10:1 but what about 20-25:1 which is likely with this one in places it snows.  And for anyone on the forum, it is more likely for you vs most.  

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You would’ve loved the 28 inches I got in about seven hours in December 20 20. Brian got even more, I think 34 inches in the same time frame 10 miles north of me.  it was the most amazing seven hours. Every time I come in from a walk I waited about 15 minutes it went out again with the excuse that I had to shovel the walk. At 6 inches an hour at one point, I really did need to go out twice an hour. I hope you see this sometime soon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Same here, 26.5" on 3/14-15/1984 in Fort Kent.  Reached 24.5" at my current residence on 2/22-23/2009, also 24" five times - one here, one in FK and 3 in NNJ between 3/56 and 2/61.  (That 2/3-4/61 depth involves guesswork due to high winds.  A nearby site recorded 27".)

2nd straight January with both temp and snowfall AN.  Last January was almost +9 for temps; this month will probably finish between 2 and 4 AN.

Interesting how you’ve had more in NNJ than ME. 

6 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Ugggh that storm

That storm really was awful for the coastal areas of the northeast. I was only 12 y/o and in NNJ then but clearly remember the infamous snow map that the weather channel had up 1.5 days before the start of almost all of PA-NJ-SNE in purple saying 2-3 feet, locally more. Then remember that Sunday night the bust started going public with a now 3”-6” forecast, heartbreaking. 

That one hurt, so did 1/05 and 1/15. Just missed in NNJ-NYC while SNE got croaked in all of them. Got our revenge so to speak in 1/16 but the pain of those others was too much and moved up here 6/17, for personal reasons too. 
Sorry for the side track down memory lane. Please move to banter if need be

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

Not to feed the peanut gallery, but the weeklies have can kicked the classic Nino February towards mid month now. 

makes sense, possible overextension as the Aleutian Low forms, then retracts and the pattern becomes much more favorable. not really worried about that ATM

extended guidance also completely missed this blocking spell

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

makes sense, possible overextension as the Aleutian Low forms, then retracts and the pattern becomes much more favorable. not really worried about that ATM

extended guidance also completely missed this blocking spell

We’re back to tracking patterns rather than concrete threats in mid Jan….. ratter.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2