Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Is the primary issue here the lack of lift facilitating precipitation? 

GNesQIY.png

Yeah we're not getting that mid-level WAA that we like to see for healthy lift. Notice how the 850 winds are still light out of the northwest. We'd like to see that turn more southerly. You can also see a bit of dry air there below about 700-750mb. Thats going to be an issue for sure in trying to get decent QPF into SNE. It's fighting that very dry air funneling down from the north

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah we're not getting that mid-level WAA that we like to see for healthy lift. Notice how the 850 winds are still light out of the northwest. We'd like to see that turn more southerly. You can also see a bit of dry air there below about 700-750mb. Thats going to be an issue for sure in trying to get decent QPF into SNE. It's fighting that very dry air funneling down from the north

Got it, thanks for the explanation. We pray for cold highs to prevent cutters and when we get one it leads to this :lol: 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Was a great Bliz 2005 AFD too.

Yeah, that one i remember reading. 2001 was before my time of evening knowing what an AFD was. But 2005 i remember seeing something like "here we go...this kind of storm only happens once or twice in a forecaster job" something like that

@40/70 Benchmark

The duration of that storm was something i've never seen since. Nearly 60 hours is pretty spot on. I remember snow began early Sunday and the last flakes flying Wednesday morning just after midnight. 

Screenshot 2024-01-17 110751111.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Yeah, that one i remember reading. 2001 was before my time of evening knowing what an AFD was. But 2005 i remember seeing something like "here we go...this kind of storm only happens once or twice in a forecaster job" something like that

@40/70 Benchmark

Screenshot 2024-01-17 110751111.png

Yes, the next one...thought so. I remember I worked Sunday's at MB for time and a half in those days and I had gotten home in the evening from that shift and just disrobed to that AFD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes, the next one...thought so. I remember I worked Sunday's at MB for time and a half in those days and I had gotten home in the evening from that shift and just disrobed to that AFD.

I was listening to Cold Play on radio just re-reading...this song always reminds me of that storm and month.

• Like 3

Northern Essex County got rocked that month....I remember I was in the Marine Corps Delayed Entry program training for Paris Island until the college semester ended. I would notice there was more snow at the recruting office in N Andover than in Wilmington....was happy to see, but pissed MBY had a bit less lol

• Like 1

It's interesting ...this 'warm up' next week, not prepared to say it's formally in trouble, but ... it does seems we are dealing with episodic confluence/induction of +PP scenarios too often for me to sign off at that being of larger positive departure - speaking to roughly N of PHL latitudes.  

In fact, ...operational GFS runs are periodically even snowing as warm surges occasionally abut the resulting +PP cold walls and run up and over..

We'll see on those but there's room here to suspect a corrupted thaw.

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's interesting ...this 'warm up' next week, not prepared to say it's formally in trouble, but ... it does seems we are dealing with episodic confluence/induction of +PP scenarios too often for me to sign off at that being of larger positive departure - speaking to roughly N of PHL latitudes.  

In fact, ...operational GFS runs are periodically even snowing as warm surges occasionally abut the resulting +PP cold walls and run up and over..

We'll see on those but there's room here to suspect a corrupted thaw.

Corrupted thaw lol I like it...better than the corrupt winters I have been observing...tired of Ma nature's politics.

5 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

@40/70 Benchmark

The duration of that storm was something i've never seen since. Nearly 60 hours is pretty spot on. I remember snow began early Sunday and the last flakes flying Wednesday morning just after midnight. 

A once in a lifetime storm for those in south eastern Massachusetts. 

2005Blizzard.PNG