Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

2 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

That storm really was awful for the coastal areas of the northeast. I was only 12 y/o and in NNJ then but clearly remember the infamous snow map that the weather channel had up 1.5 days before the start of almost all of PA-NJ-SNE in purple saying 2-3 feet, locally more. Then remember that Sunday night the bust started going public with a now 3”-6” forecast, heartbreaking. 

That one hurt, so did 1/05 and 1/15. Just missed in NNJ-NYC while SNE got croaked in all of them. Got our revenge so to speak in 1/16 but the pain of those others was too much and moved up here 6/17, for personal reasons too. 
Sorry for the side track down memory lane. Please move to banter if need be

The best thing to come out of that storm was that schools were closed.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

i know Ray’s had several 30 burgers so a 25 spot must not make his top 5 but regardless of personal experience, that amount is extraordinary for SNE climo. I mean, i’d do some really nasty things for 25”. I’ve only eclipsed that once in my lifetime…Jan96. 

we did it here last year but I think the last time before that was NEMO for me

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

your overcompensation in the other direction from a year ago has been absolutely extraordinary to witness

It has been a non winter, +5 AN with well below normal snow here. My area doesn’t do well in strong and super ninos. The strength of the El Niño -PDO, and well AN Atlantic SSTs (especially bad news for the coastal plain) were overlooked. It’s not overcompensation, it’s telling it like it is. I do think next winter will be a more favorable pattern here though, should be another La Niña rather than this strong nino crap. I do think big winters are still on the table even with CC, but this just isn’t our year. It is what it is, it looked like it might become good a couple weeks ago but that didn’t pan out.

4 minutes ago, George001 said:

It has been a non winter, +5 AN with well below normal snow here. My area doesn’t do well in strong and super ninos. The strength of the El Niño -PDO, and well AN Atlantic SSTs (especially bad news for the coastal plain) were overlooked. It’s not overcompensation, it’s telling it like it is. I do think next winter will be a more favorable pattern here though, should be another La Niña rather than this strong nino crap. 

can we wait until the winter is, you know, over before people assign it a grade? I don't know why that's so hard for some

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

can we wait until the winter is, you know, over before people assign it a grade? I don't know why that's so hard for some

Even if we get snow in Feb and Mar (we will, we do even in our worst winters), it’s very unlikely it will be enough to bring us to average, and even if it does the grade will be low due to overall temps and lack of snowcover. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, George001 said:

It has been a non winter, +5 AN with well below normal snow here. My area doesn’t do well in strong and super ninos. The strength of the El Niño -PDO, and well AN Atlantic SSTs (especially bad news for the coastal plain) were overlooked.

I agree with this to an extent, especially regarding Atlantic SSTs. We're running the end? of a +AMO and we'll see how that goes, but this configuration (generally months on end) seems to not bode well for the coastline 

ssta.daily.current (3).png

• Like 1

While I understand wrt the coast SSTA but I can't figure out why posters dont state the obvious.  If you get a well positioned low with deep cold at onset and a NNE wind you will get buried if SST at Boston Light is 49.  I mean we've had November snowstorms in coastals.  Heck, the December 2003 event had warm SSTs just be virtue of the timing in the season.  Keep (at least some) hope alive folks.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Gfs looks even more awful for Friday. Punt that box map to the moon. Not happening.

What do you look at when you interpret a model output?   I mean do you know how miserable you on the internet?  I don’t think you’re actually that way but man-gfs lines up with the box map actually!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

What do you look at when you interpret a model output?   I mean do you know how miserable you on the internet?  I don’t think you’re actually that way but man-gfs lines up with the box map actually!

Yeah that was kind of funny. GFS is prob 1-2” pike region with maybe a little more south coast. Pretty similar to the BOX map. They might be a bit heavier on the cape than GFS. 

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

You can be very sure that he doesn’t look at any model output other than a snow map someone posts  . Be willing to bet he doesn’t even know where to find them .

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, mahk_webstah said:

You would’ve loved the 28 inches I got in about seven hours in December 20 20. Brian got even more, I think 34 inches in the same time frame 10 miles north of me.  it was the most amazing seven hours. Every time I come in from a walk I waited about 15 minutes it went out again with the excuse that I had to shovel the walk. At 6 inches an hour at one point, I really did need to go out twice an hour. I hope you see this sometime soon!

Yea that was a great one for you. I forgot, that’s another one that missed here just to my north. The snow hole over CT was well modeled though so it was expected. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, weathafella said:

While I understand wrt the coast SSTA but I can't figure out why posters dont state the obvious.  If you get a well positioned low with deep cold at onset and a NNE wind you will get buried if SST at Boston Light is 49.  I mean we've had November snowstorms in coastals.  Heck, the December 2003 event had warm SSTs just be virtue of the timing in the season.  Keep (at least some) hope alive folks.   

rolling the dice, I'd rather not see those types of SSTs. this may be anecdotal, or not 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Torch Tiger said:

rolling the dice, I'd rather not see those types of SSTs. this may be anecdotal, or not 

Of course!  Probably one big reason it snows more in late February vs mid December most years.  But my point still stands.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The SST argument is always really bizarre to me…esp in January. It has very little to do with the longwave pattern. It maybe cost the coastline a bit more snow in the 1/7 event but we’re talking on the margins. 

The SSTs offshore could’ve been 3C colder and December still would’ve been an abomination. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah. I had 29.5” I think in the 3/14/23 event. Not bad.  But kinda sad it melted so quickly 

That set me into spring. I logged off and went outside with the kids to play in super wet 3”. It was like being in a rainstorm but with snow falling. Jackets, hats, and gloves dripping wet.

Interesting enough, Spanks, who lives maybe 4miles on the other side of town but in the valley, never accumulated. Just mangled flakes. But I’m 550’ while he’s maybe 200’ so it’s not a huge elevation difference. It’s one of the most bizarre micro climate events I’ve ever experienced. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

That is a bold statement. Either you are a seer or an idiot.  Hmmmm.  Did you look at another 384 hour EC op run? She gone?

He won’t be using the 18z GFS OP run beyond 300h…that’s for sure. Maybe he will post the 00z run if it shows a torch pattern. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If they're suggesting a 60% chance of greater than 4", I think it follows that they need to alert the public to at least 4" on the upper side.  Like a 2-4" event for that area, maybe even 3-6.  That would cover most of CT. 

Whether any guidance hints at this is another question.  

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Hmmm, been saying this for a while.