Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not sure where the "car seat" per se comes from - I never actually spoke that specifically.  I don't know anything about car seats - it is what it is.

It was only how a parked car on a sun abundant afternoon noticeably warms in the interiors much more so beginning on or close to Feb 10 every year.  It was palpable.  Some warming on the 5th is abruptly a lot of warming on the 11th.

I had noticed that long ago, and every year through the decades it was dependable. 'Oh. Right. It's Feb 11 - that's why it's so hot in here.'  

Later I learned of the solar max, solar min, and the solar transition periods that shoulder either.  They occur roughly 91.5 days in length..  The solar min is November 8th to February 10. The solar transition 1 starts on Feb 10 and runs out to May 10. The solar max kicks in on May 10 and runs out to Aug 8, whence the negative transition goes from then to Nov 8.  If you think about it, first days of any season as they are currently defined seem more so arbitrary when considering these physical facts about the celestial mechanics of Earth and Sun orbital relationship.  "Solar Winter" is half over now...

I just thought it interesting that the suns ability to warm enclosures seemed to coincide so closely with that official onset of the transition 1 period, Feb 10.  I've also noticed that snow banks get eaten back even on cold days, much more so around that time.  This is all of course latitude dependent.  At 42.5N these period are closer to evenly temporally distributed but S or N, these periods are longer or shorter respective of season. 

What's really at stake is that crossing the Feb 10 date, tugs chode hairs of those basking in the snow climate narratives and statistics of mid Feb.  LIke ... here we are supposed to be enjoying our winter punch and this guy comes along and interferes with our narrative? Must seem like deliberate turd mixing - how dare. LOL 

Years and years ago it became abundantly clear to me that early performing winters, those that coincide more closely with the thick part to solar min period, were a lot more for aspects like retention and breaking records and stuff.  That's why I like my winters "front loaded"  - rare as that may be. 

These days, with seasonal lag and shoulder smearing everything's all fucked up anyway so it's becoming more moot.

I noticed that a long time ago and assumed it was because day length and sun angle can be described fairly well as a sine function, or a third of the way from the Solstice to the Equinox everything is half way to late March.  Why, if I understand, the Saturnalia is the 25th, not the 21st, the rate of change is so miniscule in late December, it takes 4 days past the Solstice to notice the day lengths are increasing.  Although that would seem to imply the Romans were behind most cultures if it took them over half a week to notice the increase in day length.

EDIT TO ADD:  If the SSW is 2 weeks away, and the cold follows ~3 weeks later, if it follows, ensembles looking warm in 2 weeks isn't a season cancel, no?

2 hours ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

EPS nice in long range, many members have monster snowstorms in that Jan 6-8 range 

Yeah quite active. It’s not very cold for NE (in fact we may average AN the first week) but it’s still cold enough for snow threats. Bulk of the cold is out in the plains after the first few days of the month. 

Just be thankful you’re not a South Florida weenie. forever chasing something that will never ever arrive. 

40s as lows for NYE is about as much as I could ask for. 

Left Eastie in summer 2019 and have not yet recovered. I will die on the “Deer Island isn’t a suitable measuring spot” hill. 

I flew up last weekend hoping maybe I’d get some now. Had my flight canceled due to rain on Monday (12/18)