Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2023

Stormlover74

15 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Fake heat. Fake sensor. Cherry picked site.  Too much blacktop.  It actually didn't feel that bad.  

The only people that dismiss a site here are those talking about a tree canopy in Central Park. all you have to do is land Newark airport and see why it’s a hot hole. Low flat slab in swampland surrounded by industry.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Mid-late next week will feel cold despite near normal temperatures. 

And yes despite the record heat it still doesn't have the same punch as June through mid August due to those lower angles. 

Will feel cold? Ok, as long as the hoodies stay in the closet because anyone with traditional values knows that hoodies stay in the closet/drawer for at least another month, if not two. 
Up to 3.51" since yesterday, @Rjay can take this severe and rain anytime he is ready. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

The only people that dismiss a site here are those talking about a tree canopy in Central Park. all you have to do is land Newark airport and see why it’s a hot hole. Low flat slab in swampland surrounded by industry.

how many nyc residents live in a forest?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Parts of the region, including New York City, reached 90° today. However, cooler weather will be moving into the region. That cooling trend will continue through the weekend and into early next week. In addition, showers and thundershowers will be possible tomorrow and Sunday.

Hurricane Lee will remain a powerful storm. The ensembles favor recurvature, but the outcome is not yet cast in stone. An area running from eastern New England to Atlantic Canada could face the highest risk of landfall should Lee fail to recurve away from the North American continent. The picture should begin to clear during the weekend into early next week.

The ECMWF weeklies had forecast temperatures to average above to much above normal across the region for the September 4-11 period. That forecast is verifying with the ongoing heatwave. September has increasingly become an extension of summer in parts of the Northeast. Since 2000, almost half of all years (48%) have had a monthly mean temperature of 70° or above in New York City. Prior to 2000, just 20% of Septembers had mean temperatures of 70° or above.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +3.2°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.6°C for the week centered around August 30. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +3.22°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.32°C. El Niño conditions will likely continue to strengthen into the fall with the current East-based event transitioning to a basinwide El Niño for the upcoming winter.

The SOI was -3.03 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.934 today.

On September 6 the MJO was in Phase 3 at an amplitude of 2.602 (RMM). The September 5-djusted amplitude was 2.200 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 76% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal September (1991-2020 normal). September will likely finish with a mean temperature near 71.6° (2.4° above normal).

25 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Will feel cold? Ok, as long as the hoodies stay in the closet because anyone with traditional values knows that hoodies stay in the closet/drawer for at least another month, if not two. 
Up to 3.51" since yesterday, @Rjay can take this severe and rain anytime he is ready. 

0.0 baby!

1 hour ago, the_other_guy said:

The mental gymnastics are wild.  It's gotten so absurd there's no response to most of this stuff anymore.  I hate the heat and the fact we continue to warm but I don't deny it's existence.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

i disagree i saw people wearing hoodies when morning temps were near 80 late july early august.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

i hate just wearing shirts  i mean almost the second week of september should be jacket season already..

I miss the cool late August and September nights.  We still get them but less often.  It's gotten ridiculous over the last decade. 

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

i hate just wearing shirts  i mean almost the second week of september should be jacket season already..

I hear ya but we have to embrace change, it ain't going anywhere. I HATE heat and humidity, it's just not in my DNA, but I also can't bury my head in the sand to try to hide what our reality is these days. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rjay said:

The mental gymnastics are wild.  It's gotten so absurd there's no response to most of this stuff anymore.  I hate the heat and the fact we continue to warm but I don't deny it's existence.  

5 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I hear ya but we have to embrace change, it ain't going anywhere. I HATE heat and humidity, it's just not in my DNA, but I also can't bury my head in the sand to try to hide what our reality is these days. 

I can't figure out where or when this shift in our forum happened.  You literally have people who downplay heat and will keep shifting their arguments just because they hate it themselves.  I just can't stand the contrary nature anymore.

I love this warmth, but does that mean I downplay our biggest blizzards or arctic fronts?  Of course not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rjay said:

Fake heat. Fake sensor. Cherry picked site.  Too much blacktop.  It actually didn't feel that bad.  

I get it that there are many who would like to go back to our cooler climate of days past. I am not a big fan of so much warmth either. But we can clearly see that Newark and urban NE NJ is right in line with the regionally top 5 warmest start to September.

97EF6EF2-75CB-4DC0-AA97-C06D33198409.thumb.jpeg.3112c817c6bcbf342f7dcc023bf94487.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

I can't figure out where or when this shift in our forum happened.  You literally have people who downplay heat and will keep shifting their arguments just because they hate it themselves.  I just can't stand the contrary nature anymore.

I love this warmth, but does that mean I downplay our biggest blizzards or arctic fronts?  Of course not.

Politics.

• Like 1

The next 8 days are averaging    74degs.(67/81) or +4.

Only CFS has any real BN T's over the next 45 days.

Reached 83 here yesterday at Noon.

Today:  81-85, wind variable, scattered clouds later for awhile, 75 tomorrow AM.

76*(98%RH) at 7am.      80* at 9am.      81* at Noon.      83* at 1pm.     79* at 4pm.        77* at 7pm.   

12 hours ago, forkyfork said:

how many nyc residents live in a forest?

That’s really the point when we now see from the NYC micronet how upper 90s was the norm for maxes during this heatwave in the densely packed neighborhoods around Brooklyn and Queens. So letting the Central Park ASOS OBS drift so far from reality with the tree growth doesn’t really make any sense. These urban inner city neighborhoods were hotter than Newark this week. The UHI in Queens is much stronger than Newark with 2 days not dropping below 80°. 

Cornoa, Queens at ground level.

9/8…92/75

9/7….98/81

9/6….96/80

9/5….94/78

9/4…..90/77

9/3…..93/69

• Like 4