Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discobs 2023

George BM

7 minutes ago, yoda said:

Now this is pretty cool

Very cool indeed. I'm like a couple weeks late, and don't have vid/pic proof, but the last time we had thunderstorms around here I saw one!

Took the dog out and as I'm waiting, I felt a couple drops. Looked up. Completely clear skies overhead. Didn't have to wait long to see flashes of lightning on the horizon though. I kept looking up because...that was cool! The clear sky would occasionally light up and a drop here and there from seemingly nothing. As I'm looking up there's a brief, streaky/stringy but very clear flash of red. My first thought was 'Wow a sprite!' Right? The Perseids were going on so then I briefly thought, or maybe a reddish meteor entered weirdly? But quickly dismissed that. Youtube'd a couple videos to confirm. Definitely a sprite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stormy said:

Crazy times for the models on Friday afternoon in my immediate region. 102F with 50% cloud cover on GFS at 4 pm.   ECM 96F with 25% cloud cover.  NAM12 says 67 with rain!  Nice!   

The only sanity is with the GEM which says 90 degrees with 45% cloud cover.

The GFS has completely fallen apart as far as how deep it is mixing the boundary layer.  It has been missing by 10+ degrees from a few hours out in the Midwest heat wave.  Ignore the surface temps from the operational runs.

That said, still nasty out there to our west.  100/78 at OHare today.

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

The GFS has completely fallen apart as far as how deep it is mixing the boundary layer.  It has been missing by 10+ degrees from a few hours out in the Midwest heat wave.  Ignore the surface temps from the operational runs.

That said, still nasty out there to our west.  100/78 at OHare today.

Thanks very much!!  I really appreciate your expert explanation.

59 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

My yard was looking so good until the past week. Definitely crisping up. Used up all my rain barrel water and they need refills!

Wonder how many dry summers lead to a wet autumn? 

15 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

Year without a summer

Interesting how we've benefitted from the ridge being over TX. If it were further east over the Tennessee River Valley or Kentucky, we'd probably be roasting.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic