• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July 9th - 11th significant flood event

ineedsnow

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BTV&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

Otherwise, damaging winds are the main threat, with large hail
mainly confined to any rotating storms during the period.
Damaging winds may be more likely to uproot trees in today`s
event given saturated ground conditions areawide. Severe threat
gradually wanes across central/ern VT late this evening as
storms encounter weakening CAPE with onset of diurnal cooling
cycle.

We`ll need to watch the southern end of the potential convective
line, where some of the CAMs output and HREF suggest best
potential for training storms toward the end of the event this
evening. Thinking most rainfall is in 0.75-1" range, but
locally 1-1.5" and maybe localized 2" totals for Rutland/Windsor
counties if storms take on more of an NE-SW orientation
parallel to weakening deep-layer shear in the 00-03Z period this
evening. Low Flash flood guidance values - a function of
saturated antecedent soil conditions - of roughly 1.2-1.5" in 3
hours will potentially be exceeded with the type of intense
rainfall that these thunderstorms can produce. As such, Flood
Watch continues to look good, and will highlight greatest
potential of flash flooding is in s-central VT.

14 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I wouldn’t be buying a used car from anywhere in Vermont anytime soon…

Maybe the worst event of that car-drowning sort was Groundhog Day 1976 at Bangor, when storm-force (and stronger) winds blew water up the Penobscot estuary, causing the water in downtown to rise 15 feet in 15 minutes, engulfing 200+ cars.  Soon after the water level was back to normal, temps dropped from 57 to 1 and insurance company adjusters totaled every one of those vehicles.  (Likely that some of those cars found a home on small used car lots. :fulltilt:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, klw said:

Reminds me of an earlier pic from New York, a blowout on Rt 218 between Cornwall and West Point.  It was on a sidehill section, and the hole was about 5 feet deep on the uphill side, 20+ feet on the downhill, and 50-75 feet wide.  Looked like a $100k fix (or more).

In other news, Soules Hill Road in Jay, Maine remains closed 2 weeks after the 5-6" cloudburst.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Crazy.  Water can be terrifying, I can’t even imagine it inundating your house. 
Furniture ruined, carpets ruined, cars, furnaces, septic systems all ruined. Sheet rock and plaster water logged and becoming a mold hazard.  
I wouldn’t be buying a used car from anywhere in Vermont anytime soon…

Yep, might want to check the carfax of any VT registered cars..

FB_IMG_1689255912948.thumb.jpg.4590b39902a933fea6f8011dacad81a3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Reminds me of an earlier pic from New York, a blowout on Rt 218 between Cornwall and West Point.  It was on a sidehill section, and the hole was about 5 feet deep on the uphill side, 20+ feet on the downhill, and 50-75 feet wide.  Looked like a $100k fix (or more).

Rt 218 is a challenge to keep open due to its route on the side of Storm King Mountain.  A man was killed in an avalanche along 218 during the blizzard in March '93.  Shortly after that NYSDOT put up permanent gates on each side of the mountain section to close the road during heavy rain and snow events.  Falling rocks/boulders are a somewhat regular occurrence as well.  Its a great drive, and a commuter route for folks who work at West Point, they'll likely be closed for months.      

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Rt 218 is a challenge to keep open due to its route on the side of Storm King Mountain.  A man was killed in an avalanche along 218 during the blizzard in March '93.  Shortly after that NYSDOT put up permanent gates on each side of the mountain section to close the road during heavy rain and snow events.  Falling rocks/boulders are a somewhat regular occurrence as well.  Its a great drive, and a commuter route for folks who work at West Point, they'll likely be closed for months.      

Sounds like a scenic route, in good weather.  Many years ago (1972) my wife and I were driving home from skiing at the old Glen Ellen and chose to head south from Newburgh on 9W because I was too cheap to pay the toll on the Thruway.  It was well after sunset and snowing moderately as we climbed and climbed, with land visible to our right in the headlights but just darkness to the left.  After carefully going down the other side, my wife exclaimed, "I was scared riding over Storm King with my dad in sunlight!" 
I think it was Emerson (or Hawthorne) who wrote, "If ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Flooding again ? Any radar estimates so far 

The line seems to have hit the spine of the greens and broke up a bit. I was able to get 9 holes in between 5:00 and 6:30 or so. Heard some rumbles but no rain and no lightning until we were finishing up. It’s rained but not incredibly  heavy rates here at least. I’ve gotten about .50. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

1-1.5" in NW MA tonight with some flash flooding.  Nothing outrageous but rivers will be running high again tomorrow.  I imagine CT River will remain at minor flood stage through tomorrow night.

Holding high here for a while.

IMG_5929.png.e0801535b7b5ce0abf287c9ba95f8feb.png

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

High water levels continue for the foreseeable future in many areas and rivers of New England.  May not be newsworthy levels but the bulk of New England is pretty saturated, besides the SE desert. 

Streams and rivers were still high here today and then we dumped another 1" quickly tonight.  I assume sections of VT saw similar rain tonight?

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Kiss of death. Maybe next year.

I've always carried a private qualm about that supposed 'drought'/32 year thing ...

Whenever I hear/read that, I wonder ... 'yeah, what about all the TS that have swathed up through this region'

I mean, they may not be hurricanes, per se - but does that matter?   Perhaps it's too much philosophy for this forum ... but I don't think there's an "atmospheric distinction" between the two.  There may be a statistical distinction, but first order statistics don't really describe any system ... I mean, one could sum up all the cumulative ISE from all these TS and say ... that = a smaller number of hurricanes.  Boom, budget has been met. 

There may not be a drought really.  There may be a drought in whether someone gets their drama-junky modeling drug rocks off from watching an ISE dripping bomb twirling its way across the MDR with tantalizing model implications for a L.I. express...  Okay.   But that's something else. 

Nature doesn't owe Joe Bastardi or anyone else that subscribes to the bate drama machine, jack shyster -

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I've always carried a private qualm about that supposed 'drought'/32 year thing ...

Whenever I hear/read that, I wonder ... 'yeah, what about all the TS that have swathed up through this region'

I mean, they may not be hurricanes, per se - but does that matter?   Perhaps it's too much philosophy for this forum ... but I don't think there's an "atmospheric distinction" between the two.  There may be a statistical distinction, but first order statistics don't really describe any system ... I mean, one could sum up all the cumulative ISE from all these TS and say ... that = a smaller number of hurricanes.  Boom, budget has been met. 

There may not be a drought really.  There may be a drought in whether someone gets their drama-junky modeling drug rocks off from watching an ISE dripping bomb twirling its way across the MDR with tantalizing model implications for a L.I. express...  Okay.   But that's something else. 

Nature doesn't owe Joe Bastardi or anyone else that subscribes to the bate drama machine, jack shyster -

It’s interesting looking at the historical climo of legit hurricane landfalls in New England. We had a VERY active period in the middle 20th century where we had 6 legit New England landfalls in roughly 50 years (and that doesn’t count close misses like the 1944 NYC hurricane or Gerda swiping ACK in 1969).  

But we had a similar lull to now back between the 1890s and the 1938 storm where we went over 40 years without a landfall and prior to that was very active in the 1850s-1890s. 

I always joke with Scott (CoastalWx) how the media is going to lose their proverbial shit when we have another active period for New England and east coast landfalls in general. The further away we get from that active middle 20th century period, the more the population becomes blissfully unaware of it. 

• Like 5