• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

I have an Ego electric mower and I love it.  My lawn is good sized too. 

My next piece of yard equipment I will be buying is one of their leaf blowers.  
I have no problem with the gas ones if people want to use them.  They are much louder and are not the best for CO2 etc but they do a better job. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Good rebuttal.  Moving to electric is obviously cleaner.  I guess I still look at it as a noise issue when communities draft ordinances… should disruption be governed?  Loud music at 12am? Leaf-blower at 6am?  It’s a fine line, tough issue because where do you draw the line.  Loud music doesn’t pollute, maybe the pollution tips the scale for daytime noise?

Don’t want to diminish the impacts to those employed as landscapers. Proper PPE goes a long way in employee safety. They are all fine with the right hearing protection.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I have an Ego electric mower and I love it.  My lawn is good sized too. 

My next piece of yard equipment I will be buying is one of their leaf blowers.  
I have no problem with the gas ones if people want to use them.  They are much louder and are not the best for CO2 etc but they do a better job. 

I have a Ryobi, it's great, I want to get their most powerful leaf blower before fall, my brother has one and it kicks ass.

• Like 1

I got rid of all my gas-powered tools last year and went with Toro's battery-powered system. Mower, string trimmer and snowblower. I don't have a big yard or driveway so it made sense and they all do the job just fine. The snowblower doesn't cut through 6 inches of paste as easily as the old Ariens but I plan on getting another battery for an extra boost in power and duration.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Good rebuttal.  Moving to electric is obviously cleaner.  I guess I still look at it as a noise issue when communities draft ordinances… should disruption be governed?  Loud music at 12am? Leaf-blower at 6am?  It’s a fine line, tough issue because where do you draw the line.  Loud music doesn’t pollute, maybe the pollution tips the scale for daytime noise?

Don’t want to diminish the impacts to those employed as landscapers. Proper PPE goes a long way in employee safety. They are all fine with the right hearing protection.

I think people forget there are downsides to electric too. Energy has to come from somewhere. And the batteries essentially become toxic waste at the end of their lifespans.

Obviously battery powered tools are more environmentally friendly, but I think this is almost 100% a noise issue being disguised as an environmental issue.

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

I have electric tools for the house, but early on I had to use a gas powered blower because leaf pickup on my property is legit work. I hated watching gas spill on my patio and such, and the sound/smell, but I did what I had to do.

I’ve had to go big with electric tools as a result. 80v mower and trimmer, which both work well now for the size of the job. 

I hate to broad brush, but I feel like anyone with a yard that requires work knows that you do whatever it takes to get the job done. Hopefully changes in technology make it easier to use electric. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Noise pollution is a thing. 

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I fell asleep without making a follow up post to my original one, but I’m not trying to poopoo gas powered tools or singling out 2 strokers. But I do believe you have to start somewhere with making these products more environmentally friendly. I have a 2 stroke brush cutter, but only because an electric isn’t powerful enough yet to do what the product needs to do. The electric technology is there for a simple weed whacker or leaf blower though. The mowers are starting to get better too, but I have over an acre to mow with some brush in spots so I’m sticking with gas for now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Off-topic but this is pretty crazy to me.  Yes it’s the Sierra, yes it was a record snow year.  But working at a ski area, it has to be crazy to continue “winter” operations into August.

2D993419-3E0F-4BB8-A22B-EDBF592E4996.thumb.jpeg.e1b0fa984268e8b6306280502605b41c.jpeg

You could go skiing in the morning and hit the beach in the afternoon :lol: 

4 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

You can have my gas car when you pry the keys from my cold dead hands.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I fell asleep without making a follow up post to my original one, but I’m not trying to poopoo gas powered tools or singling out 2 strokers. But I do believe you have to start somewhere with making these products more environmentally friendly. I have a 2 stroke brush cutter, but only because an electric isn’t powerful enough yet to do what the product needs to do. The electric technology is there for a simple weed whacker or leaf blower though. The mowers are starting to get better too, but I have over an acre to mow with some brush in spots so I’m sticking with gas for now. 

Brian,  I got to come visit you and have you drive my electric Mustang Mache up the big hill you live on.  You will be blown away with power of instant torque.  Going on 18 months now and love this car.  With the electricity rates going down it is much less costly to drive and great in the snow.  Other than tire rotation not a penny of maintenance.  Electric has down sides but like you said we have to start somewhere, especially for those who like snowy winters

• Like 4
  • Haha 1