Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

What’s the best place to park on route 1 coming from 495? Trying to avoid the stadium lots themselves as I’d like to leave sometime this month 

It's probably too late now because they'll charge a fortune, but we do premier parking. There are lots around RT 140 that are like 50-60 bucks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

July has been very humid.  Nighttime’s lows have been pretty high so the overall daily departures have been high.   No big heat but overall a bit AN

I don't recall any night this month so far where we've had clear skies to allow for some cooling overnight.

• Like 1

I wonder if we get into any of the big heat sometime in August. Perhaps one reason why it hasn't been overall hot (well above-average during the day) is there really hasn't been any big heat across the country until really these past few weeks across the Southwest. That has finally changed though and there aren't any signs of the western ridging breakdown down. So at some point some of this may break off and head our way, but of course we've had these pesky troughs so any bigger heat may be deflected towards the mid-Atlantic and Southeast (similar to now). 

5 hours ago, dryslot said:

You can get lucky but i've been behind vehicles that have broadsided them before and all that bruised meat is no good, I actually sell bags to McCabes mom Penny, She usually comes in a couple times a year with Kris's dad wearing a Maine Warden Service hat and he has told me a few good stories lol.

My sister-in-law was staying with us (my father-in-law had passed a week earlier) and she's a big NWL fan and got all teenybopper with Kris, had to get pics.  Then insisted that I get pictured with him - at least that one showed the deer.
That was my 3rd deer collision.  1st was in Bedford, NH as I was hauling my daughter and 3 friends back to Dublin on a Sunday evening in mid Nov.  It had stormed that morning (blew down 2,000 cords on state land near Jackman) and the critters were on the move.  I'd taken my foot off the gas upon seeing the light ahead go yellow and it was deer-bang-gone before I could even hit the brake, launched the little lamb of the year into the woods at a 45° angle, $2,900 to the Subaru.  We were going south at 45 and the deer about 35 westbound.  2nd was the Sunday morning a week prior to deer season, a nice 6-8 point buck that was running northeast as we drove northwest.  Hit the driver side front door and fender, whipped around to mess up the rear door and left the side mirror hanging by one wire.  We continued to church after dealing with the LEO; a guy with a scanner asked to retrieve the deer and found it dead in a swamp maybe 1/4 mile from impact.  $1,900 for that one.
It was decent to finally eat what I'd hit on #3.

54° this morning, lowest of the month.  In 25 years only July 2000 failed to get below 50 - hit 51 - and 4 Julys had sub-40 readings.  I'll be surprised if July 2023 gets below 50, though HIE hit 49 this morning.

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I wonder if we get into any of the big heat sometime in August. Perhaps one reason why it hasn't been overall hot (well above-average during the day) is there really hasn't been any big heat across the country until really these past few weeks across the Southwest. That has finally changed though and there aren't any signs of the western ridging breakdown down. So at some point some of this may break off and head our way, but of course we've had these pesky troughs so any bigger heat may be deflected towards the mid-Atlantic and Southeast (similar to now). 

I don’t see prolonged big heat, but looks like pattern has changed to be more conducive for “pieces” of the big heat in the west to move east. At the same time, def some cooler airmasses modeled in Canada in the extended. IMO generally speaking, I see a pattern of 1-3 days of heat, couple days of seasonable weather and repeat for end of July / first half of August. I agree with the heat getting shunted more to the south and being more prolonged below our latitude. 

If there will be a more prolonged stretch of Hot weather, I think it is more likely mid-late Aug and from the WAR.

1 minute ago, ma blizzard said:

I don’t see prolonged big heat, but looks like pattern has changed to be more conducive for “pieces” of the big heat in the west to move east. At the same time, def some cooler airmasses modeled in Canada in the extended. IMO generally speaking, I see a pattern of 1-3 days of heat, couple days of seasonable weather and repeat for end of July / first half of August. I agree with the heat getting shunted more to the south and being more prolonged below our latitude. 

If there will be a more prolonged stretch of Hot weather, I think it is more likely mid-late Aug and from the WAR.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I think a few months back I posted a link to this paper which did a study on big event events across the country during a transition from La Nina to EL Nino. The paper analyzed this transitioned with the SST configuration and explored extreme heat waves in the Southwest and heat waves across the East. Basically, the SST configuration we're in tended to favor bigger surges of heat across the Eastern US during the second half of summer (August). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

It will be interesting to see what happens. I think a few months back I posted a link to this paper which did a study on big event events across the country during a transition from La Nina to EL Nino. The paper analyzed this transitioned with the SST configuration and explored extreme heat waves in the Southwest and heat waves across the East. Basically, the SST configuration we're in tended to favor bigger surges of heat across the Eastern US during the second half of summer (August). 

def would be interested in reading the paper if you can find it!

Some high late-season numbers in the past 25 years in Boston.  all either tied or highest temps for their respective years.

98 August 29, 2018

96 September 08, 2015  
93 September 02, 2014  
95 August 18, 2009  

96 August 25, 2007   
93 August 22, 2003   
101 August 14, 2002  

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

33 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

eh after August (or moving closer towards the end of the months) this becomes more true but we have had some super hot stretches first few weeks of August. 

developing nino summers tend to peak in august 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1