Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

11 hours ago, kdxken said:

It's been a very strange year. As I've mentioned before no Black flies and the wasps have been delayed. Guessing that's the same with the deer flies delayed but not denied.

We were inundated all around here with black house flies for 3 days. They luckily have moved on. Not bad for squitos yet. Weather blows.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We were inundated all around here with black house flies for 3 days. They luckily have moved on. Not bad for squitos yet. Weather blows.

We have been plagued with some type of moth on our screen porch the past 3 days.  They are large (bigger than a gypsy moth) and brown/orange.  We have no idea where they are coming from.  They appear 1-3 at a time.  No other bugs have gotten into the porch. It is pretty tightly built.  

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We have been plagued with some type of moth on our screen porch the past 3 days.  They are large (bigger than a gypsy moth) and brown/orange.  We have no idea where they are coming from.  They appear 1-3 at a time.  No other bugs have gotten into the porch. It is pretty tightly built.  

We've been getting those on our screen porch too, the cat has a ball trying to catch one.

• Like 1

I work outside every day, so I prefer :stein:and heat.  Rain and snow obviously suck to work in, but working outside in high heat gets the nod from me versus single digits gusty wind in the winter.    I'm an electrician for a company that installs standby generators in houses and it's just so much easier for digging trenches and running pipes/wires when its hot 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kdxken said:

It's been a very strange year. As I've mentioned before no Black flies and the wasps have been delayed. Guessing that's the same with the deer flies delayed but not denied.

Had a normal (bad) black fly season in May but very few paper wasps - maybe because 2 were apparently mating on the porch steps in late May, enabling me to fatally interrupt the action.  Deer flies are out but few - I draw solo attacks when the usual would be a half dozen.  (Which pales compared to my years in the Allagash-St.John forests:  dozens of deer flies plus even more similar-size but non-carnivorous flies in the swarm - "sweat-lickers" I called them, as that's what they would do upon landing on me.  Trouble was, with hundreds circling and bouncing off, I could not discern which were carrying knives until I got stabbed.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Use Google lens it'll tell you what they are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

They may be Lantern Flies ... ?

They are an invasive moth-like ( or outright moth) species that made some press for being pervasive in the M/A to as far N as NYC either last summer or the summer before. 

Here's a photo  ... Not saying this is what you got, but the description 'kind of' sounds like this

Spotted Lanternfly

22 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

They may be Lantern Flies ... ?

They are an invasive moth-like ( or outright moth) species that made some press for being pervasive in the M/A to as far N as NYC either last summer or the summer before. 

Here's a photo  ... Not saying this is what you got, but the description 'kind of' sounds like this

Spotted Lanternfly

Definitely not those.  I will try to catch the next one and take a pic.   I will try to identify it

Just now, kdxken said:

I can't take any more of this non-stop torch.

"Boston however has still not reached 90 degrees this year, and we are now in top 10 category for late arrival of 90-degree weather in the city."

I just hit it yesterday. June was BN for sure. But now we torch. Although BOS with a SE wind.

• Like 1

87/75 at PQI, tall dew for the County.  HX 96. 
85° here in the woods, TD low 70s, HX ~90, a bit lower than yesterday's 89 with TD 67-68.  Breezy today as well.  Don't know whether the boomers move this far southeast.  We've yet to have a significant TS his year; nearest strike ~5 miles away.  Also, have not had a nighttime light show in a decade or more, though we had a near-severe daytime TS on 6/14/22 - 0.85" in 10 minutes, with the 2nd 5 minutes much heavier than the 1st with a few dime-size bouncers and gusts ~40.  Big time, for here.