• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

Actually pretty amusing to see the storm tracks. The ones in PA are heading almost straight north, while the stuff that was in VA is heading east. Would have been tough to draw up a more perfect DC screwjob. 

It’s all because the LWX radar is down.
  • Like 1

I think I saw the genesis of the cluster that went through NE MD earlier. Started out as an innocuous cumulus that didn’t really stand out. Only a few minutes later, it was a towerhead. An hour later, huge anvil covering the entire NE quadrant from my POV (ashburn). Blue skies all around it. 

Sour grapes for getting zip imby aside, it was a really cool progression to see from behind. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 09-10 analogy said:

The 2012 derecho -- I know, it's annoying that gets brought up every time there's a severe threat, but there's a reason here -- wasn't, IIRC, supposed to be the main event. That was supposed to be the next day. Well, this is the reverse. The main event will be tomorrow for immediate metros, not today as was thought. 

That's sound meteorological reasoning for you there. 

https://tenor.com/view/jedi-starwars-mind-trick-obiwan-gif-5199308

19 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Third storm this evening. The breeding grounds continue to be just to my southwest. No severe here with this one, but some thunder and a ten minute downpour. Northeast of here could be a different story.

About 1.10” in the past couple of hours.

Breeding grounds are about 1/4mi down the road from MBY per Dover radar

• Like 1

Got two rounds.  Second one much better (best lightning in a long time).  Still going on.  I took some video of both lightning and fireflies.  They seem to work together!  Lots of pink lightning too.  Youtube still processing video, will link when done.  No watering needed tonight that's for sure!

EDIT:  video is up, it's still processing so at the time I'm linking it's unfortunately potato quality.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Actually pretty amusing to see the storm tracks. The ones in PA are heading almost straight north, while the stuff that was in VA is heading east. Would have been tough to draw up a more perfect DC screwjob. 

Yep. Thank GOD most of the mets on local media warned folks to get their errands done by noon today. :rolleyes:

Several of you caught onto this potential evolution at mid-morning today...which is why I come here first for the critical details.

• Like 2

Wasn’t the DC (NOVA) split said earlier today??? Sure enough that’s what happened. Severe days aren’t the same around here anymore. the potential is there but never realized. Firm believer if it weren’t for the midday cloud cover the majority of the area would have capitalized.