Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 22-23, 2022: Warm Rain to Arctic Chill

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, Baltimorewx said:

Looks like the GFS is finally coming to its senses and backing down a bit on the amount of precip/change to snow along/behind the front for the metros/low elevation areas.

Does it really matter what falls?  I mean, regardless of whether it's rain or snow, if the roads are wet when temperatures crash, things will get cruddy quickly. 

Well, that's at least what I'm hoping that my school system is thinking.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Does it really matter what falls?  I mean, regardless of whether it's rain or snow, if the roads are wet when temperatures crash, things will get cruddy quickly. 

Well, that's at least what I'm hoping that my school system is thinking.

Right but I still think that is more of an issue for the N&W folks with increasing elevation...Flash Freeze stuff is a bit rare around the metros/low elevations as we normally dry out before temps tank enough. I know this one is impressive with the arctic front though. Do I think there will be icy patches where still wet? Yeah, do I think its some massive freeze? No, but this will probably be a bigger deal, potentially much bigger for increasing elevation folks. But also even just the smallest coating of snow acting as an icy base I think would exponentially make the potential worse

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Deep, deep winter scene there this weekend.  AFD mentions possibility of blizzard conditions.  Arriving there on Monday!  

Leaving at 5am tomorrow morning to get a jump on the weather.  Hoping to get the tent up before the cold air slams through which looks to be around 11am-12pm.  WSW says wind chills of -35F, it's gonna be an epic campout.  One of our game cams transmitted a pic this morning that looked like maybe 4" on the ground already.  We're going to try for three nights.  Really it depends on how well the dog can handle it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, IronTy said:

Leaving at 5am tomorrow morning to get a jump on the weather.  Hoping to get the tent up before the cold air slams through which looks to be around 11am-12pm.  WSW says wind chills of -35F, it's gonna be an epic campout.  One of our game cams transmitted a pic this morning that looked like maybe 4" on the ground already.  We're going to try for three nights.  Really it depends on how well the dog can handle it.  

You’re CAMPING in this weather? Wow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IronTy said:

Have fun but I gotta say….that’s a bold decision :lol:

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM FRIDAY TO 6 AM EST
SATURDAY...

* WHAT...West winds 30 to 45 mph with gusts up to 70 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of western Maryland, western Virginia and
  eastern West Virginia.
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, IronTy said:

Well, stay warm! 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic