Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 22-23, 2022: Warm Rain to Arctic Chill

WxUSAF

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

Have fun but I gotta say….that’s a bold decision :lol:

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM FRIDAY TO 6 AM EST
SATURDAY...

* WHAT...West winds 30 to 45 mph with gusts up to 70 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of western Maryland, western Virginia and
  eastern West Virginia.

Lot of snickering when I stated 70mph wind gusts would accompany this rare situation.

Unless   I read it wrong I saw a report from Wyoming and Colorado of 35 degree temp drops in one hour .  I don’t think we can do that but I do think we can do 18-20 degree drop in 60 minutes

Some  of us who have been posting for 20 years closely remember our most special winter events.  Get ready to put this one in your records to cherish forever 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IronTy said:

To be fair we have about $10k worth of extreme cold weather mountaineering equipment.  Descended mount rainier at -20F ambient with thunder snow and lightning BELOW us on the way down.  This is downright luxury compared to that lol.  Unlike mountaineering...in this case if it gets too gnarly we can just get in the truck and drive home.  The current non-mountaineering benchmark we had was 4 days/3 nights snowshoe backpacking at the Dolly Sods where the temp never got above zero the entire trip.  This ain't our first rodeo.  

I got a feeling though that you may assess that this was close to your limit.  Please give us a full honest assessment as to that.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, DE2PA said:

Anyway, still cold and raining here 38 miles west of Philadelphia International Airport; which also is not in the city of Philadelphia either… go figure 

well technically a small part of it is in Philadelphia County (coterminous with the city) but it is owned by the City of Philadelphia.  Weird arrangement lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

well technically a small part of it is in Philadelphia County (coterminous with the city) but it is owned by the City of Philadelphia.  Weird arrangement lol.

Tinicum Township probably needed the funding it gets from PHL. We know Chester City isn’t bringing it in.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
255 PM EST Thu Dec 22 2022

MDZ503>506-VAZ036>040-050>053-502-506-230400-
/O.NEW.KLWX.WC.Y.0011.221223T2100Z-221224T1500Z/
Northwest Montgomery-Central and Southeast Montgomery-
Northwest Howard-Central and Southeast Howard-Nelson-Albemarle-
Greene-Madison-Rappahannock-Orange-Culpeper-
Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park-Fairfax-Southern Fauquier-
Eastern Loudoun-
255 PM EST Thu Dec 22 2022

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM FRIDAY TO 10 AM EST
SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Very cold wind chills expected. Wind chills as low as
  15 below zero.

* WHERE...Portions of central Maryland and central, northern and
  northwest Virginia.

* WHEN...From 4 PM Friday to 10 AM EST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Strong winds could cause damage to trees and power
  lines. The cold wind chills could cause frostbite on exposed
  skin in as little as 10 minutes.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...For the Wind Chill Advisory, the highest
  wind speeds will be Friday into Friday evening. Affects from the
  extreme cold could be made worse due to power outages.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Use caution while traveling outside. Wear appropriate clothing, a
hat, and gloves.

&&

$$

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

Wind Chill Advisory coming out for DC/Baltimore metros. Should populate on NWS website shortly.

Do you have a link to a source that lists what the warning hierarchy is to determine which color we see on the NWS map when multiple warnings/advisories are in place? Like, flash flood and tornado warnings will always be primary, but between a winter weather advisory and a wind chill advisory, for example, which one takes precedence on the map? Thanks in advance! 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

As warm as you like if you are willing to have a fire either inside or out.

We run a small wood stove inside this particular tent and as long as you keep on top of it I'd say a good 30F warmer than ambient can be expected.  In this particular case the biggest concern will be keeping the tent standing in the wind.  We will be using 18" rebar stakes and also lasso the upwind guy lines to large fieldstone that is all over the area.  

And if worse comes to worse we hop in the truck and head home!   One benefit vs real mountaineering....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronTy said:

Leaving at 5am tomorrow morning to get a jump on the weather.  Hoping to get the tent up before the cold air slams through which looks to be around 11am-12pm.  WSW says wind chills of -35F, it's gonna be an epic campout.  One of our game cams transmitted a pic this morning that looked like maybe 4" on the ground already.  We're going to try for three nights.  Really it depends on how well the dog can handle it.  

I don’t think you are going to beat the front. Hope you do. Good luck!

7 minutes ago, Twilly05 said:

I don’t think you are going to beat the front. Hope you do. Good luck!

Gonna be tight.  If we leave at 5am and traffic on the beltway isn't a mess then we will be on top of the mtn at 9am.  20mins to set up the tent...depends on which model I'm hugging.  Windy and 30F is a lot easier than windy and 10F so we'll see...  Be sure as long as I have cell service there'll be updates lol.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IronTy said:

Gonna be tight.  If we leave at 5am and traffic on the beltway isn't a mess then we will be on top of the mtn at 9am.  20mins to set up the tent...depends on which model I'm hugging.  Windy and 30F is a lot easier than windy and 10F so we'll see...  Be sure as long as I have cell service there'll be updates lol.  

LWX has the front moving through before daybreak there. By 8:00 a.m. winds are already gusting to almost 60 mph. Here’s the P&C forecast for Bittinger:

5FE72526-7B11-4374-8B6E-5CC83C421D98.thumb.jpeg.afc09dead26eb81dac6c65f53f94d88c.jpeg

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Heyoooo!  Tomorrow morning should be fun.

Our epic pattern might be condensed into 5 minutes of +SN tomorrow, but that's all we could ask for given this past week of trends. An old fashioned snow squall would definitely help brighten the mood, the 18/19 and 14/15 winters had some great ones from what I can remember. 

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic