Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

2 hours ago, tavwtby said:

I'm still working on plotting data for the last century from the closest official station to me, I've only got snow complete so far and even in that short period, you can see peaks and valleys, of course some anomalous years that scew the mean, but 20s and 30s of the 20th century were poor in terms of snowfall, really peaked from mid 50-late 60s, then fell through the early 90s, and up again, and on it goes... I'll continue with total rainfall, temps, and total precip and plot to have a good idea, I'm going out on a limb and say it'll peak and valley accordingly

If you can find the info, it would be worth knowing whether the obs site has stayed at the same place throughout.  I've spent many hours dissecting the data of the Farmington co-op, records back thru Jan 1893, and there was a significant change when the site was moved in Sept 1966 from the fully built-up section of the small (5k) town to a site 1.5 miles to the north, where houses are spaced apart and nearly all on the same road.  The biggest change was summertime maxima - for instance, the co-op has recorded 14 days reaching 100+, but only one since the move: 101 on "Hot Saturday" in August 1975.  The average temps have risen significantly during the current century but there is still a disproportional amount of warmth records, especially warm minima, set prior to that move to the north.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tamarack said:

If you can find the info, it would be worth knowing whether the obs site has stayed at the same place throughout.  I've spent many hours dissecting the data of the Farmington co-op, records back thru Jan 1893, and there was a significant change when the site was moved in Sept 1966 from the fully built-up section of the small (5k) town to a site 1.5 miles to the north, where houses are spaced apart and nearly all on the same road.  The biggest change was summertime maxima - for instance, the co-op has recorded 14 days reaching 100+, but only one since the move: 101 on "Hot Saturday" in August 1975.  The average temps have risen significantly during the current century but there is still a disproportional amount of warmth records, especially warm minima, set prior to that move to the north.

yeah the fact that temp measuments have moved to locations that are not only more populated, but more covered with asphalt and less vegetation, where we all know can make a major temperature difference, same with maritime readings from vessels, thermocouple movement closer to the exhaust rather than away, make a difference. I've been focusing on one particular station about 5 miles from me, but I'm going to search for another in the vicinity and do the same break down and plot data .. curious to see any anomalies etc. it's tedious, seeing how I do aerospace testing for a living and deducing data is a good part of it, makes it seem like work so I'm taking it slowly, you understand I'm sure. but I'll post when I finish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 78Blizzard said:

To those that say "winter's over" or "winter's cancelled", check the years 1978 and 2015, among others, where for many of us our big snows came in later January into February.  Keep hope alive...

Don't even have to go that far back, 2015 was all late, 2011 started I think Jan 11th or 12th. People just want a cold white Christmas and when we don't get that, get disappointed this early, me included.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Don't even have to go that far back, 2015 was all late, 2011 started I think Jan 11th or 12th. People just want a cold white Christmas and when we don't get that, get disappointed this early, me included.

didn't that season start with boxing day storm, iirc, melts were epic leading up to that too, far different scenarios yeah, but I hear ya, if it ain't cold and white for Christmas, it's a bummer...for us old enough it's a reminder of those 80s Christmas winters where it's 50 and raining, last good Christmas I can recall I think was early 2000s I remember thunder snow on Christmas, believe ALY area got crushed, maybe there's one more recent I can't recall...Will??

Just now, tavwtby said:

didn't that season start with boxing day storm, iirc, melts were epic leading up to that too, far different scenarios yeah, but I hear ya, if it ain't cold and white for Christmas, it's a bummer...for us old enough it's a reminder of those 80s Christmas winters where it's 50 and raining, last good Christmas I can recall I think was early 2000s I remember thunder snow on Christmas, believe ALY area got crushed, maybe there's one more recent I can't recall...Will??

I know we had a couple in the 90's even had snow on Thanksgiving one year. Need Will to tell us the years though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

Boxing Day was a bust and gone out to sea until 1.5-2.0 days before, when the GFS brought it back out of the blue.  And then it dry slotted alot of us, and absolutely Crushed NYC and Jersey.  Then it melted completely 4 days later on a Rainey warm NYE.  Not the best start that year either.  

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Boxing Day was a bust and gone out to sea until 1.5-2.0 days before, when the GFS brought it back out of the blue.  And then it dry slotted alot of us, and absolutely Crushed NYC and Jersey.  Then it melted completely 4 days later on a Rainey warm NYE.  Not the best start that year either.  

I got dry slotted on Boxing Day too, that was a weird storm but did portend things to come.

31 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

'17 snowed xmas day, more up here then down in your area of CT.  Was a little nuke though, 4"/hr early that morning.

image.thumb.png.f0af9c59c918b3bc23c5b13e604e86cb.png

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Thanksgiving of ‘89…real nice snow storm in CT.  

We were on the Cape in Truro for that one! It was the first time I saw snow at the beach. The forecast originally was for the storm to miss even the Cape. That morning they added an inch or two to the forecast. All day they couldn't keep up and by evening we had 17 inches. It was pretty much the only positive bust I can remember in the 80s

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

'17 snowed xmas day, more up here then down in your area of CT.  Was a little nuke though, 4"/hr early that morning.

forgot about that one, wasn't major here but plowable and still white Christmas regardless, thanks... yeah I remember that Thanksgiving one that was my first year driving in snow, albeit with a 67 Chevelle with 60s all around, would have been better driving with snow skis ha!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

where are these snow maps that aren't on the KU scale? I used to have the link saved, but my phone updated and I lost it, can you please share so I can save again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Nothing beats Christmas Day 2002.

24” in the backyard SW of ALB.  Last winter living there… got a Christmas Hail Mary.

It can be a broken record claim within the Xmas discussion, but nothing will break that daily snowstorm IMO.  Pure glory, pivot point.  18” on Christmas afternoon/evening. Sustained 3”/hr.  Up to 5”/hr recorded as it tightened up.  A couple feet in very short duration during the holiday.

9BD78460-EEAA-40F2-BB9B-1E175A3588D6.gif.35364906be3e651885dc387287090acd.gif

EF18C968-0D8C-42AA-A25E-C27D07213A48.thumb.jpeg.88317f227c74174fdeace61bf5efda0e.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Boxing Day gave 18+ to BOS