Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

13 hours ago, 78Blizzard said:

To those that say "winter's over" or "winter's cancelled", check the years 1978 and 2015, among others, where for many of us our big snows came in later January into February.  Keep hope alive...

Easier to pull off in an el nino, which those both were.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

There is/will be no "cold" on this side of hemisphere.  It's going to be a shit pattern.

It’s going to take a while to reverse that…..hopefully we can enjoy the nice weather. Hints of change at the tail end of the ensembles but still not close to a winter pattern. 

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

No point of putting a target on reopening. Just keep them closed until a weather app alerts us of falling snow. 

Pretty much we’re I’m at.

it seems like we start to maybe get a bit more favorable in that timeframe, so it may be 1/20-1/25 before anything seriously favorable emerges, if it even does.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I know we had a couple in the 90's even had snow on Thanksgiving one year. Need Will to tell us the years though.

We had White Tday and White Xmas in 2002....good double whammy there.

1990s were kind of shitty, but 1995 was great. Cold and snowy all December pretty much. 1992 had the leftovers of the Dec 11-12, 1992 storm over the interior....it got a bit glacial because we had a cutter about a week before Xmas, but it wasn't enough to melt it out. 1991 had decent snow cover too...Dec '91 was actually not bad over the interior....and then winter went to total shit after that. 1993 was saved by a band of SN- that dropped an inch overnight 24th into 25th after we lost our snowpack from a grinch storm on 12/23. 1994 was a disaster, 1996 got wiped clean by epic Xmas Eve grinch storm....1997 of course was the infamous 12/23/97 bust that dumped a ton of snow....'98 and '99 were dogshit but '98 did give a white Xmas to far SE areas....the Cape had like 6-10". I think the cutoff was just south of BOS.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

1990s were kind of shitty, but 1995 was great. Cold and snowy all December pretty much. 1992 had the leftovers of the Dec 11-12, 1992 storm over the interior....it got a bit glacial because we had a cutter about a week before Xmas, but it wasn't enough to melt it out. 1991 had decent snow cover too...Dec '91 was actually not bad over the interior....and then winter went to total shit after that. 1993 was saved by a band of SN- that dropped an inch overnight 24th into 25th after we lost our snowpack from a grinch storm on 12/23. 1994 was a disaster, 1996 got wiped clean by epic Xmas Eve grinch storm....1997 of course was the infamous 12/23/97 bust that dumped a ton of snow....'98 and '99 were dogshit but '98 did give a white Xmas to far SE areas....the Cape had like 6-10". I think the cutoff was just south of BOS.

I had about 5" of glacial crust left at Xmas in Wilmington that year.

I remember that light snow on XMAS eve 1993...my dad was dozing on the coach and I was watching it fall at like 2am haha.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was on the line. I had about 3” in Marshfield and Duxbury had 6” in 99. 

1995 greatest for me. Like 10-12” otg.

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Pretty much we’re I’m at.

it seems like we start to maybe get a bit more favorable in that timeframe, so it may be 1/20-1/25 before anything seriously favorable emerges, if it even does.

Sure maybe. Maybe late Jan into Feb is good but these 4 week stretches of winter have become a bore. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was on the line. I had about 3” in Marshfield and Duxbury had 6” in 99. 

1995 greatest for me. Like 10-12” otg.

You mean 1998? I think '99 was garbage.

'95 was def my best December from a sensible wx standpoint if you like consistent cold and lots of snow events leading into Xmas. That month did leave a little on the table though with the messy phase of the Dec 19-20, 1995 storm....that one was supposed to be a blockbuster but it turned into a mundane warning event. Nothing wrong with that obviously, but there was a little feeling of letdown there.

But we had so many snow events it was hard to complain....you had 12/9 over the interior, and then the massively overperofming clipper warning event on 12/14...then the IVT on Dec 16-17 that dropped 2-4" and then of course the bigger storm on Dec 19-20....but then the ULL just sat and spinned up in Maine and we had random snow showers between Dec 21-26 each day. Always seemed to be mood flakes falling with a deep pack. We must've had 18-20" OTG (biggest difference between interior and coast that month was the 12/9 event where coast had mostly rain after snow to start)

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You mean 1998? I think '99 was garbage.

'95 was def my best December from a sensible wx standpoint if you like consistent cold and lots of snow events leading into Xmas. That month did leave a little on the table though with the messy phase of the Dec 19-20, 1995 storm....that one was supposed to be a blockbuster but it turned into a mundane warning event. Nothing wrong with that obviously, but there was a little feeling of letdown there.

But we had so many snow events it was hard to complain....you had 12/9 over the interior, and then the massively overperofming clipper warning event on 12/14...then the IVT on Dec 16-17 that dropped 2-4" and then of course the bigger storm on Dec 19-20....but then the ULL just sat and spinned up in Maine and we had random snow showers between Dec 21-26 each day. Always seemed to be mood flakes falling with a deep pack. We must've had 18-20" OTG (biggest difference between interior and coast that month was the 12/9 event where coast had mostly rain after snow to start)

Yeah 98. My bad. But I was happy with snow otg. 

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

They’re in my trunk. I played a week ago when it was 45f with full sun and no wind, and it was just fine. The way seasons are going nowadays, we play all year round.

I think it was 2008 we played New Year's Eve, but winter hit shortly after, and we ended up having a pretty good year after all.

• Like 1