Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

34 at MWN. Fake as Fuck.

Ha.  36F on Mansfield as return flow occurs aloft.  Definitely a “backside of the deeper cold” type of night... where the 850mb flow has switched SW with gentle WAA overtop.  Instead of a 5,000ft thick cold layer last night, it might be more like 2,000ft tonight.

Cold should settle in better and deeper to the east of here.  Locally here and into the Adirondacks it should be shallow as the warmth laps through the terrain overhead.

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This whole synopsis is fake cold by day too.  

The sound curves must be straight up. 

That’s what makes this time of year interesting I guess.  The staying power of low level cold air.  Once that boundary layer cool air gets established (even if by radiational cooling), it’s hard to dislodge?

The sun angle is very low, it just doesn’t warm up at all like it did even just weeks ago.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s what makes this time of year interesting I guess.  The staying power of low level cold air.  Once that boundary layer cool air gets established (even if by radiational cooling), it’s hard to dislodge?

The sun angle is very low, it just doesn’t warm up at all like it did even just weeks ago.

I agree partially. We’ve been doing it all summer. Always shy of potential.  It’s magnifying now that the solar contribution is tepid yup.  So it’s more noticeable but we keep being disproportionately cool relative to the synoptic look. 

It’s hypothesis but I think the mid levels are repeatedly outpacing the low levels so the two fields tend to quasi uncouple.  Ridges peel off and escape before thermal momentum from one day to the next can relay launch pads. That’s more summer … but we’ll have 560 hydro stats with a 4 or 5 lapse rate from 860 to the surface this weekend, so now it gets to make sense.  But it’s more than that I suspect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Going to Florida for the first time ever Tuesday - Saturday. Was hoping for some good thunderstorm threats or even a late season tropical but can't wait to get back into 80's and humidity. 

Thunder is much less in FL this time of year.  Next time go in summer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

She got tight last night.  Inversion down under 1500ft.

Its wild to me it can just keep radiating like the face of the moon underneath.  MVL popped 21F on a few of the 5-min readings.  A 20F delta to 875mb.

Hot cocoa at the ski lodge while Bob Marley plays with lemon shandy’s at the 4K picnic tables.  

• Haha 3