Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

Just now, nycwinter said:

big powerful storms can often drop 3 4 or in some cases 5 inches in a hour and that ca add up very quickly..

I can personally attest to the above from March 2017 and last February, but in particular March 2017 where I pulled near-consistent 2-4” per hour for that whole event….

and maybe even 5-6” in an hour between 10-11 AM that day :blink:

1 minute ago, crossbowftw3 said:

I can personally attest to the above from March 2017 and last February, but in particular March 2017 where I pulled near-consistent 2-4” per hour for that whole event….

and maybe even 5-6” in an hour between 10-11 AM that day :blink:

we had 4-6" an hr here with Feb 2013 it was crazy a foot of snow in 3 hrs (on our way to 30)

• Like 2

Just now, MJO812 said:

Sorry for your loss Joe

I know what is feels like to lose a parent. I was 24 when I lost my dad in 2012. He was only 52 years old.

Still tough for me today 

Ugh. I’m 54 and have two boys. Couldn’t imagine the loss

17 minutes ago, Jt17 said:

It's hard to say - this is a very cold storm. We're used to mixing at the coast, etc. with our big storms. That ain't it this time.

Respect your opinion, you probably know more than I do about this stuff. But 39" in western suffolk? Knowing that the NAM usually overstates QPF? It would have to get under some pretty good banding for several hours and I don't know if the intense banding will get far enough west for that. I guess we'll see. But I would prefer to use the 10-1 ratio maps and add a bit to increase the ratios if appropriate for temps ... then stating that higher amounts can be expected underneath areas where banding sets up.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Joe4alb said:

My father passed away this morning, and he was the inspiration that got me into weather. We used to sit and chat about every storm for hours. This storm is him saying goodbye. :cry:

@Joe4albsincerely sorry for your loss. Lost my dad to covid last year and we also bonded over weather. Prayers for you and your love ones' grieving and healing. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

My condolences to you and your family. My dad passed away in December 2015 and a month later we got the blizzard of 2016 so I know the feeling

Feb 2013 was right before my father passed. I will actually never forget how he explained he was so impressed that I was able to understand what was happening and the forecast I made. It was... a nice memory. Never knew blizzards and fathers were connected for some like it was for me. 

And again @Joe4alb  my sincere condolences :/

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Joe4alb said:

My father passed away this morning, and he was the inspiration that got me into weather. We used to sit and chat about every storm for hours. This storm is him saying goodbye. :cry:

Really sorry to hear - my condolences to you and your family. Just lost my Mom 6 months ago so know what you're going through.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Sorry for your loss Joe

I know what is feels like to lose a parent. I was 24 when I lost my dad in 2012. He was only 52 years old.

Still tough for me today 

I "third" you. I lost my real Dad at 15, he was 47, in 1973. Fortunately it was from great to greater, but I lost my next Dad after almost 41 years knowing him and being his stepson my of the time in 2013.

• Like 4

Seems like just yesterday when people were out on the ledge and Coach Brasiluvsnow was calling some strategic timeouts boy did those pay off or what,,,,,ps take a bow USCG and Forky and Doorman and a few others you look like you might have hit walkout home runs touch em all,,,,,,that said the Nam run should be framed god I hope it verifies 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, larrye said:

Respect your opinion, you probably know more than I do about this stuff. But 39" in western suffolk? Knowing that the NAM usually overstates QPF? It would have to get under some pretty good banding for several hours and I don't know if the intense banding will get far enough west for that. I guess we'll see. But I would prefer to use the 10-1 ratio maps and add a bit to increase the ratios if appropriate for temps ... then stating that higher amounts can be expected underneath areas where banding sets up.

With this storm and the dynamics/moisture at play, QPF probably isn't overdone. But again the Kuchera maps especially in the worst of it with blizzard conditions aren't happening. I could see maybe 12-1 ratios there. Winds will break the flakes apart and hurt ratios. The best ratios will be inland where winds will be reduced and there can be more piling up (but there will be less QPF). 

• Like 2