Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

3 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Really makes me more confident in my theory that the last month was just a weather pattern which played to the GFS biases rather than the GFS being a better model. 

Metsfan's right. Miller A's (which this storm is more of than miller B ) aren't the GFS strong suit. It seems to do better with storms dominated by the northern stream which the Euro can struggle with. And GFS was very close to being considerably better. It had the stupid double low which stole a little and dragged the storm east. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Metsfan's right. Miller A's (which this storm is more of than miller B ) aren't the GFS strong suit. It seems to do better with storms dominated by the northern stream which the Euro can struggle with. And GFS was very close to being considerably better. It had the stupid double low which stole a little and dragged the storm east. 

We have seen time and time again the gfs struggle with coastal storms.

• Like 1

This seems to be a pattern with the double low error.  I remember this happened with a few of our other big ones too.

Isn't there a way to fix models on the fly?  In other fields, when a simulation has an error we rerun the simulation after the event occurs and change the model to make a better prediction.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rmine1 said:

I’m awaiting the mix, dry slot(she said) next

There won't be any problems with the dry slot or mix for us. MAYBE for out by Montauk if the west trend really does continue. Our issue would be subsidence zones between bands which can't be forecast now. I can definitely understand Forky beginning to get excited. Boxing Day 2010 was supposed to be a LI focused storm too and it buried E NJ. I don't see how this has to stop going west here.

• Like 2

I think from hours 33-42 while it's struggling with the double barrel low look we're being wiped of what could be a decent amount of QPF to the west. If the west low is consolidated the whole time we get something like... the NAM.

There won't be any problems with the dry slot or mix for us. MAYBE for out by Montauk if the west trend really does continue. Our issue would be subsidence zones between bands which can't be forecast now. I can definitely understand Forky beginning to get excited. Boxing Day 2010 was supposed to be a LI focused storm too and it buried E NJ. I don't see how this has to stop going west here.

Yeah Boxing Day was a great storm but we honestly expected it to be more here.  Monmouth County got the best snows in that one.

South shore of Nassau county seems to be a common spot for subsidence zones unfortunately.  For whatever reason it seems to jackpot in high end el ninos but otherwise we usually max out under or right around 20 inches.

I'm looking through the list of all 20 inch storms at JFK and most are in el ninos outside of the Feb 1961 storm and of course Jan 1996.

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
0312Z FRI JAN 28 2022

The 00Z GFS has started and is running on time. In addition
to the usual complement of global raobs, 39 dropsondes were
available courtesy of a USAF winter storm recon mission in
the Western Atlantic and a NOAA mission over the Pacific.

Handel/SDM/NCO/NCEP

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD 0206Z FRI JAN 28 2022

The 00Z NCEP model production is running on time. Observations available for NAM ingest included 11 Alaskan, 28 Canadian, 69 CONUS, 13 Mexican, 6 Caribbean, and 9 Pacific raobs. There were also 9 winter storm recon dropsondes courtesy of the USAF over the Western Atlantic and NOAA mission over the Pacific. 00Z NAM RAOB RECAP... 70326/AKN - No report 70414/SYA - No report 72215/FFC - No report 76743/VHA - No report...10150 70361/YAK - 10142 78384/GCM - 10142 72662/UNR - Short to 908 mb Handel/SDM/NCO/NCEP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Yeah Boxing Day was a great storm but we honestly expected it to be more here.  Monmouth County got the best snows in that one.

South shore of Nassau county seems to be a common spot for subsidence zones unfortunately.  For whatever reason it seems to jackpot in high end el ninos but otherwise we usually max out under or right around 20 inches.

I'm looking through the list of all 20 inch storms at JFK and most are in el ninos outside of the Feb 1961 storm and of course Jan 1996.

Wasn't the Lindsey Storm 1969 a big Nassau County Miller B storm? 2/8/13 would have been substantially better had 1/3 or more of the storm not been wasted with rain/sleet in Long Beach.

I can't get on board with crazy 20+ amounts yet for us but I'm becoming more confident we'll get past 12". GFS should have been better with that upper air chart. There's really only upside when you see two closed 500mb contours just SE of you. :snowman: 

Rolling the dice here but I may be coming to Long Beach for this one. For all out blizzard conditions it would be a great place to hang out even if snow totals are a little less. 

• Like 1