• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Thursday AM Jan 20 Anafront snow threat.

Sey-Mour Snow

13 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

one of the few.  That was the right call in reality-here it was rain  until 8:30-they could have opened on time and by this afternoon roads would have been fine.  Crazy.  It's like living in Savannah GA instead of NE

Closed here as well. All we have is wet ground. Not even a trace. Back country out by the airport probably has something on the ground, but south of 95/Post Rd just wet.

24 minutes ago, LovewellHemp said:

I try to get a post in at least once per event to try to break the lurker stigma, but it's clear my interactions are not significant enough lol. My location doesn't lend me much in the way of positive input so I usually just keep it to myself, but this year has been particularly difficult and there is currently a serious shortage of mental health care professionals :weep:

I'm a weenie and therapist..you're in luck! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Closed here as well. All we have is wet ground. Not even a trace. Back country out by the airport probably has something on the ground, but south of 95/Post Rd just wet.

they hear someone say "flash freeze" but those are rare around here-roads will dry out long before the true arctic air arrives.  Same thing year after year....

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

Flash freeze is the most over-used, beaten to death term in New England. There is a major difference between things icing up and a flash freeze. When temperatures go from 50's to lower 20's or teens in an hour or less span...then talk about flash freeze. Going from 46 to 42 to 37 to 32 to 30 to 27 in a several hour span doesn't constitute or result in a flash freeze. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Flash freeze is the most over-used, beaten to death term in New England. There is a major difference between things icing up and a flash freeze. When temperatures go from 50's to lower 20's or teens in an hour or less span...then talk about flash freeze. Going from 46 to 42 to 37 to 32 to 30 to 27 in a several hour span doesn't constitute or result in a flash freeze. 

I think they are more common in the plains and midwest.

Just now, weatherwiz said:

An early candidate to win The Post of the Year Award!!!

This may be presented to you in 2023!

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

Flash freezes typically happen in WINDEX events around here....you occasionally get them in a cold tuck scenario or a frontal wave, but usually they are from an arctic front that has snow squalls with temps starting in the 30s and then you drop like 10F in an hour and everything turns to a sheet of ice that was wet.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think they are more common in the plains and midwest.

For sure...big time. That's where they get true flash freezes. If you ever follow the Winter Storm Severity Index from the WPC you'll see fairly common during the winter months areas shaded in moderate or higher impacts from flash freeze. I've never really seen any shading here about the limited or minor. 

People say our weather changes quickly here...we've got nothing on the Inter-mountain West through Great Plains.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Gorgeous paste job. Perfect heading into Arctic air and the 24th -27th threat.

I appreciate your love of the extremes. You know how to enjoy both. In the summer you take advantage of the warmth/humidity and enjoy it the best way possible (pool side) and in the winter...you somehow enjoy the cold. kudos 

Another area due for big time regression is pretty much most of central and eastern CT. They’ve turned into powderfreak the past couple of years. Any excuse to snow, I’ve never seen so many little excuse for events produce snow over that type of concentrated area.

If there is a weenie band of snow coming, you can bet it’s going to set up somewhere from Kevin to ginxy

• Like 1