• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

I wouldn't say the low tracks northwest, it may be more that it explodes into a stacked low over PA and remnants of the coastal are shattered along the occlusion, that PA low is the weak inland component exploding due to the energy peak hitting the circulation. This could be another big snowfall event for BGM as well as anything else it does, remember last winter's 40" storm up there? And Albany had almost three feet as well. Think it was around a week before Xmas. 

Not implying the storm will be diminished for M/A region just another thing it does. 

If we combine the NAM further south at 84h, the ICON's history of a strong coastal, and this, we start to see how the eventual solution could be a more dynamic storm. I'm actually sitting in the midst of its developmental stage here and it is far from impressive, but diving energy that rounds a trough can do a lot to overcome that. 

Anyway, this looks high impact for noVA, w MD and much of PA into upstate NY, could be very hard to forecast around NYC as it looks like the thermals will spike rapidly and fall back just as fast. 

The  latest models  seem to be suggesting a major event.

We all need to remember that this is 96 hrs. into the future and changes will occur.

The trough entering the Great lakes and retreating HP over the North Atlantic will decide.

7 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

There have to be some members that follow the weakness though, from Greenville up over Philly looks like where it probably wanted to end up. Dynamics as it stacks likely cause interference of convective nature out closer to where the surface low ended up this run.

Where's WW with his percentage maps of the gefs? :lol:

He's napping on his job

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Wrt the NW track. It can happen and I do expect a pretty sharp N turn when it gets captured and phases but that on the 18z Gfs is overdone Imo.  But before even getting into that it was a better run. Look at 96 hours v 12z 

3EEF6BB6-EF27-43DF-846B-909364645BE0.thumb.gif.773831fb840ef5bb59d24658b9c78d88.gif

I’ll take that improvement at 96 v the wonky stuff it does later. The question is was that pretty radical NW jump from va beach to Hagerstown correct. I’d bet against it. Something like SE VA up the Chesapeake is more believable and that would have an enormous impact on the ground results in DC and Baltimore. Much less low level warm air surging in and provably would hold into snow a couple more hours which can mean 2-3 more inches. Plus sleet and dry slot v driving rain after.

That’s not just a wag it’s based on the analogs to this setup where the upper low tracked similar to this and the surface low got into SE VA. The turn north was never that radical. The two 1994 storms for example, started in a similar spot and never got that far west. Both tracked up the bay or just east of it. Btw the first 94 storm had a much worse antecedent airmass so a similar track would yield better results. I think this has better antecedent conditions than the second 94 storm also.   If that 96 hour Gfs plot is right I’d bet on a track through southeast VA then up the southern bay across northern DE and near Philly.   That’s still west of ideal but that would avoid the spike into the 40s with heavy rain in the cities. Despite a slightly worse airmass that didn’t happen with the second 94 storm either.   I got about 6” in western Fairfax county with a lot of sleet then a dryslot and temps stayed in the 30s. Didn’t lose any snow really. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8

19 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Not saying that it will happen or be the ultimate solution.  But it's not like the GFS is doing something "non physical" here.  If there's a shortwave on its heels phasing in at that time, it pulls the system NW as we see.  @psuhoffman and others have hammered that point several times.

See my post above 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

There have to be some members that follow the weakness though, from Greenville up over Philly looks like where it probably wanted to end up. Dynamics as it stacks likely cause interference of convective nature out closer to where the surface low ended up this run.

That’s the track I expected too. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

\prateptype_cat.us_ma.thumb.png.49a0c5714ed83a750ffba8e659dfcd36.png

Approximate track of the surface low from 99-108. Would be a unique storm track for sure. 

Sure, we'll be on the west side of the eye but hard to imagine that the hurricane-force winds will still be causing trouble by the time it gets to DC.

(Crap, I see I stopped changing my wall calendar five months ago.)

• Haha 2

That was a solid adjustment from the GFS after gleaning over it. Ignore the developed ptype algorithm maps for the time being. Soundings tell the story and climo wise we're beginning to see how this would usually shape up. The wall of snow is still well within reason. I-81 corridor still favored, but the metros will not get shutout. I love the cold antecedent airmass leading in too. I have no changes to what I've made previously. 

• Like 17

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Wrt the NW track. It can happen and I do expect a pretty sharp N turn when it gets captured and phases but that on the 18z Gfs is overdone Imo.  But before even getting into that it was a better run. Look at 96 hours v 12z 

3EEF6BB6-EF27-43DF-846B-909364645BE0.thumb.gif.773831fb840ef5bb59d24658b9c78d88.gif

I’ll take that improvement at 96 v the wonky stuff it does later. The question is was that pretty radical NW jump from va beach to Hagerstown correct. I’d bet against it. Something like SE VA up the Chesapeake is more believable and that would have an enormous impact on the ground results in DC and Baltimore. Much less low level warm air surging in and provably would hold into snow a couple more hours which can mean 2-3 more inches. Plus sleet and dry slot v driving rain after.

That’s not just a wag it’s based on the analogs to this setup where the upper low tracked similar to this and the surface low got into SE VA. The turn north was never that radical. The two 1994 storms for example, started in a similar spot and never got that far west. Both tracked up the bay or just east of it. Btw the first 94 storm had a much worse antecedent airmass so a similar track would yield better results. I think this has better antecedent conditions than the second 94 storm also.   If that 96 hour Gfs plot is right I’d bet on a track through southeast VA then up the southern bay across northern DE and near Philly.   That’s still west of ideal but that would avoid the spike into the 40s with heavy rain in the cities. Despite a slightly worse airmass that didn’t happen with the second 94 storm either.   I got about 6” in western Fairfax county with a lot of sleet then a dryslot and temps stayed in the 30s. Didn’t lose any snow really. 

Joe B keeps saying March, 1994 is an analog.

FI7DniaXEAII3Uw?format=png&name=900x900

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

History of similar synoptic situations says something like this is more likely 

E3ED5BF5-4E0F-40C2-96B1-3FBF7EF805A7.jpeg

GEFS supports that in all honesty. I cant ever remember a track like the GFS is spitting out. The GEFS would be a classic bomb for just about everyone in here. Except the Eastern Shore folks. 

• Like 3

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic