Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That week still doesnt break 2016 for me. Of course we got kind of screwed with the second noreaster out here (Only 4-6). I know a lot of you like multiple events. And I do as well. But I dont think I will ever see 40 inches from a single storm again in my lifetime. 

I can't blame you. I think most of us consider a HECS to be anything over 20", but to get twice as much is just ungodly. Not many people outside a mountain or LES snow belt will ever see a 40" storm in their backyard.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I can't blame you. I think most of us consider a HECS to be anything over 20", but to get twice as much is just ungodly. Not many people outside a mountain or LES snow belt will ever see a 40" storm in their backyard.

I lived along the divide in the rockies for 7 years and the largest 24 hour snowfall I can remember is 35" and it happened around Memorial Day weekend of all times. No snow below 10k' but most of my county was above that. Generally speaking, 24" in 24 hours is a massive single storm. However, storm cycles can dump 6-12" every day for 10 days so there's a big difference but the mid atl and NE get hit with very special snowstorms. Geography is powerful. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The 18z NAM appears to be a step in the right direction at 500.

All we can really ask for 5 days out. I know many love to see those pretty pink colors on snow maps over our backyards - even on 5+ day out model runs - but I’d actually be more concerned if models were showing an area wide jack at this point because we know things will very likely shift between now and storm time. 

NAM has low teens here Saturday night with dew points around 0.     GFS keeps a slight northerly component to the sfc winds ahead of the sfc low on Sunday and has a known bias for scouring out low-level cold air too quickly.    I don't disagree at all that we'll be able to torch above the ground, taking the current track verbatim, but the surface cold air is not going to give up easily at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Looks ICON ish wrt how it wants to link a bit of the energy in the plains with the stj energy. Not sure honestly what it would mean. Less of a closed low for longer would be better,  so I guess there are some positives just glancing at where it may head after. 

someone fire up the DGEX....

• Haha 5

Whoever is JUST west of the mix / snow line come storm day is going to be quite happy. This has great banding written all over it and the moisture feed is going to be profound upstairs. Some models printing 1-2” qpf. Just a matter of where that fall line sets up  

I’d honestly take a nice 4-6” thump before a dry slot or sleet bomb in a heart beat, but I’m certainly rooting for more. 

1 minute ago, high risk said:

NAM has low teens here Saturday night with dew points around 0.     GFS keeps a slight northerly component to the sfc winds ahead of the sfc low on Sunday and has a known bias for scouring out low-level cold air too quickly.    I don't disagree at all that we'll be able to torch above the ground, taking the current track verbatim, but the surface cold air is not going to give up easily at all.

Agreed. Warm layer/sleet line typically scoots in quicker than models but the boundary layer will be very cold and dense for sure. Nice part about a crappy track in Jan as opposed to Dec or Mar

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I got 34 inches from snowmaggedon. I’ll never see that again I don’t think. And I DEFINITELY won’t see three HECSes in a winter again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Euro seems to be the best case scenario right now. Low end warning snow/sleet then dry for I-95 immediate suburbs, big storm US 15 west.

EDIT: Give it a 50 mile east shift and everybody wind bigly.

PLEASE drag the UHI boundary over me into Crystal City, so the rest of you can enjoy the s*** and surface by St. Patrick's day.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic