Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Except the kicker phases and tugs the now NNW. How often is a low that tracks over Mertle Beach and Wilmington NC “too far west”.  I’m starting to really rethink the order of what’s most important. Honestly it’s like 90% the phasing with the enegy behind. If the storms going to cut NNW due to that it really doesn’t matter what’s going on before that. Although the further SE start does give us a few more hours in the cold sector which matters when it’s snowing 1-2”/hr. Plus makes for an earlier occlusion which will limit the warm air intrusion west of the track. But to get a “clean” storm and a track east of the bay we really need a delayed phase or slower phase with the backside energy. 

That piece is going to be the wild card here. As far as I can tell it’s coming from a lobe sitting south of the Aleutians right now. This piece and it’s timing is so critical and I don’t think it’s a stretch to think that the modeling and the real time aspects of that piece are gonna change over time.

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Except the kicker phases and tugs the now NNW. How often is a low that tracks over Mertle Beach and Wilmington NC “too far west”.  I’m starting to really rethink the order of what’s most important. Honestly it’s like 90% the phasing with the enegy behind. If the storms going to cut NNW due to that it really doesn’t matter what’s going on before that. Although the further SE start does give us a few more hours in the cold sector which matters when it’s snowing 1-2”/hr. Plus makes for an earlier occlusion which will limit the warm air intrusion west of the track. But to get a “clean” storm and a track east of the bay we really need a delayed phase or slower phase with the backside energy. 

Certainly not expecting an "all clean" snow event at this point.  But it sure would be nice to avoid spiking temperatures and a deluge after a good thump as much as possible!  I'd rather have a transition to sleet/ice, or a dry slot where we don't have temps shoot up well into the 40s.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

Western PW could make out big time over Eastern PW....looks like a county devider right now

I think you might be right.  But man that 18z evolution.  Near vacapes to PA.  Not sure what to think but h5 was better.  My advice is get stocked on booze.  That never fails. 

• Haha 2

Just now, SnowenOutThere said:

Probably a 1/2 for the northern part of the forum, but has a low ever taken that track?  

Not saying that it will happen or be the ultimate solution.  But it's not like the GFS is doing something "non physical" here.  If there's a shortwave on its heels phasing in at that time, it pulls the system NW as we see.  @psuhoffman and others have hammered that point several times.

• Like 1

Just now, SnowenOutThere said:

Probably a 1/2 for the northern part of the forum, but has a low ever taken that track?  

I’m sure everything has happened at one time. I remember a few years ago going on and on about how a low won’t run the apps even with the models showing exactly that. I was confident it wouldn’t happen because it almost never does. Guess what happened? It ran right up them like it was hiking the Appalachian Trail.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Roger Smith said:

This run is probably the start of a gradual evolution of guidance towards a blockbuster event of historic proportions. More cold air involved, better track. Have a close look at the speed of the occlusion around hours 108-114. 

I think this is correct. I’m going with this until it’s not true.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Weenie 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’m sure everything has happened at one time. I remember a few years ago going on and on about how a low won’t run the apps even with the models showing exactly that. I was confident it wouldn’t happen because it almost never does. Guess what happened? It ran right up them like it was hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Yep, I remember that well.

4 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

\prateptype_cat.us_ma.thumb.png.49a0c5714ed83a750ffba8e659dfcd36.png

Approximate track of the surface low from 99-108. Would be a unique storm track for sure. 

There have to be some members that follow the weakness though, from Greenville up over Philly looks like where it probably wanted to end up. Dynamics as it stacks likely cause interference of convective nature out closer to where the surface low ended up this run.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic