Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, chris21 said:

While very true, this pattern has already dropped ten inches of snow on dc one week into January.

Different pattern. This 'transition has done us well. But there are no guarantees in the LR. Personally I think I would have rolled the dice with the certainty and kept the pattern. Hoping the big change pans out mid month and does everyone well in the snow dept.

37 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I can see the appeal, but the argument that I was making is that big storms seem to kick good patterns out of the area faster. Take a look at Jan 2016. Solid event, but 3 days later we're roasting and the snow is melting off fast. 

From a hobby perspective, 2013-14 will always be my favorite tracking winter unless it gets topped at some point. That year it all. Ice, snow, bay freeze, below zero, acceptable to exceptional snow totals each month from dec-bitter end of march, multiple types of events from all angles and dangles. I literally got sick of tracking in late March. Never thought it was possible. For that reason alone, it's my personal holy grail year of winter wx tracking in the mid atl. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

My advice is not to sweat every 6 hour operational run yet for next weekend’s potential.  WB 6Z GFS v. 12Z GFS makes the point.

7AA8E582-B709-4AED-B1E8-9328D3753B46.png

4889F066-CC4C-42B5-B1A9-55A22FA16136.png

Too late.  12z GFS is a total disaster.   Boring for days followed by a monster storm that avoids DC before curving out to nail NYC and Boston.   ;)

24 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

People got baited in by what I would describe as a faux kind of pattern where people thought we had a chance. Mountains and Maine can still cash in.

Giving up on a pattern thats 7+ days away is just as ignorant as locking in on a great looking pattern from the mid to long range. 

1 minute ago, Steve25 said:

Giving up on a pattern thats 7+ days away is just as ignorant as locking in on a great looking pattern from the mid to long range. 

Living close to this ocean gives you perspective. That's where your SE ridge comes from and AGW shows up first in the ocean.

• Weenie 2

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

From a hobby perspective, 2013-14 will always be my favorite tracking winter unless it gets topped at some point. That year it all. Ice, snow, bay freeze, below zero, acceptable to exceptional snow totals each month from dec-bitter end of march, multiple types of events from all angles and dangles. I literally got sick of tracking in late March. Never thought it was possible. For that reason alone, it's my personal holy grail year of winter wx tracking in the mid atl. 

That yr also had consistency. Jan/Feb/Mar were all double digit snow months. That doesn’t happen often in these parts.

4 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Once the big players start coming onto the field they dredge up so much moisture and heat in the system.

So far we have only dealt with northern stream systems and clipper-type stuff.

Were you on Mars or something on Monday? Southern stream mauling. Come on man. Your posts are bad enough when they have accuracy. This post is plain stoopid

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I think 2009-10 was the best, since getting 3 storms that were 18”+ is practically unheard of anywhere in the country outside the mountains or LES snow belts. 

But 2013-14 gives it a run for its money IMO, especially in the colder suburbs. I’ve never seen a wall to wall winter like that one either before or since. It snowed just about every week, and dare I say I liked it even slightly better than 2002-03.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I can see the appeal, but the argument that I was making is that big storms seem to kick good patterns out of the area faster. Take a look at Jan 2016. Solid event, but 3 days later we're roasting and the snow is melting off fast. 

As a general thing...I'm not sure we in this region have much room to complain about how long a snowpack lasts. It is dicey enough trying to get deep snow in the first place! How long it lasts oughta be considered a bonus, imo. Not to say I don't like a good snowpack...but I'd still rather have a deep snow then roast than no deep snow at all! Give me a 1-2 footer any day!

7 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

As a general thing...I'm not sure we in this region have much room to complain about how long a snowpack lasts. It is dicey enough trying to get deep snow in the first place! How long it lasts oughta be considered a bonus, imo. Not to say I don't like a good snowpack...but I'd still rather have a deep snow then roast than no deep snow at all! Give me a 1-2 footer any day!

I think we all agree with that. It's the choice between one big dawg to later melt away, or many small cuts keeping our neighborhoods white( I'm speaking about our lawns of course) resulting in an extended feeling of a real winter. At least that was my take on it. That said, I'm happy with anything we get these days.

BrooklynWX: "There will be highly amplified shortwaves rolling S off of the western ridging that will be able to phase with cutoff lows and other pieces of energy from the southern stream. This is accomplished by the W ridging being a bit more poleward than usual: it allows for significant cross-polar flow, but it also keeps the STJ open. This is often how we get our largest storms.

There is also an immense cold supply here, as our air will be sourced from Siberia. Hints of transient -NAO blocking have also been showing up on the OP runs, and there's some on the ENS means as well. Transient blocks are really all you need when it comes to large storms, as we've seen in the past.

Overall, this is just a loaded pattern and I would honestly be quite surprised if there isn't a MECS (or two!) between the 15th and the end of the month. "

Vice-Regent: "BIG STORM MAKE ATMOSPHERE HOT AND WET, NO SNOW SORRY"

Who you gonna believe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

7 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

BrooklynWX: "There will be highly amplified shortwaves rolling S off of the western ridging that will be able to phase with cutoff lows and other pieces of energy from the southern stream. This is accomplished by the W ridging being a bit more poleward than usual: it allows for significant cross-polar flow, but it also keeps the STJ open. This is often how we get our largest storms.

There is also an immense cold supply here, as our air will be sourced from Siberia. Hints of transient -NAO blocking have also been showing up on the OP runs, and there's some on the ENS means as well. Transient blocks are really all you need when it comes to large storms, as we've seen in the past.

Overall, this is just a loaded pattern and I would honestly be quite surprised if there isn't a MECS (or two!) between the 15th and the end of the month. "

Vice-Regent: "BIG STORM MAKE ATMOSPHERE HOT AND WET, NO SNOW SORRY"

Who you gonna believe?

Whoever types the most words

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic