• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

I've done LP comparisons with the OP and Ensembles in the past, but I think it has more weight at this range compared to within 100hrs. There seems to be two camps with the 0z EPS: closer to the coast, and suppressed solutions. The Euro falls in camp two, with this overlay of the OP and Ensemble showcasing that

660376564_ecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-mslp_with_low_locs-2334400(2).thumb.png.467d5c173533a9d94c42dce484201127.png

There's a lot of visual clutter here, but the large L represents the Operational run, put on top of the ensemble. It shows a 2 LP look but the most northeast one seems to be the correct position as this panel is mid transfer. This shows that the Euro op run is in the "suppressed" camp for sure.

Here's the EPS run itself to clear up any confusion with respect to the OP

1122431144_ecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-mslp_with_low_locs-2334400(3).thumb.png.337ee617a6b3441e6535d515d89a5e72.png

This is actually a slight improvement from 12z. The spread is to be expected, but the mean is still showing a significant LP somewhere in the vicinity of offshore NC

1203712489_ecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-mslp_with_low_locs-2334400(4).thumb.png.c31b370c6a10928d5498b131809ac3d4.png

Finally, the look over top improved somewhat compared to 12z. The 50/50 signal shifted a tiny bit west, and the HP position and strength looks as solid as the EPS has shown so far

737359288_ecmwf-ensemble-avg-conus-mslp_anom-2291200(1).thumb.png.7aae2e53c7ce80d483440dad4b1a8849.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Dare I say....I kinda miss TWC circa 1987-1995ish. Actual mets, some extremely extremely advanced mets (Stu Ostro, John Hope, Paul Kocin, Dave Schwartz, etc etc). Actually delved into atmospheric sciences and taught and took time to explain and weren't just on camera celebs. I know that outlet tends to get ripped by weenies near and far....but that was a much simpler time and we were at the mercy of the long range forecast they did once or twice an hour. Good stuff. The coverage of the 93 and 96 storms on there....epic.....just epic.  

That 1996 Bliz coverage on TWC was truly EPIC - At least a hundred Bob Chill Faces EPIC! Just Wow! I was up all night, all day.

Would the 06z ICON be good for us if it went out another 24 hours?  I would think so... with a 1040 HP sliding eastward into Quebec and a 1039 in ND... but the SLP on the OK/TX border at 1003mb is giving me slight pause with the h5 energy/shortwave being a bit far behind -- or is that the kicker?

Also, I'd think that huge ocean low would help with the HP getting blocked up in Quebec, yes?

27 minutes ago, yoda said:

Would the 06z ICON be good for us if it went out another 24 hours?  I would think so... with a 1040 HP sliding eastward into Quebec and a 1039 in ND... but the SLP on the OK/TX border at 1003mb is giving me slight pause with the h5 energy/shortwave being a bit far behind -- or is that the kicker?

Also, I'd think that huge ocean low would help with the HP getting blocked up in Quebec, yes?

Idk Yoda, when the h5 vort panel looks like this at hr120 (6-7 shortwaves compressed in a tiny area of the globe),  it's safe to assume that it didn't get to the right place, so where it goes from there is likely less right. 

icon_z500_vort_us_41.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck! said:

STJ near Mexico

9b.gif

GFS ens's are borderline going back to -PNA/something at Day 15, so we'll see

You can see the pattern already reverting back on several of the ens members by day 12. I will say this....we've scored twice with the negative PNA and there are zero guarantees with the +PNA this year. Seems the alignment of the pna ridge is forcing the mean trof in the East too far off the coast based on progs. Regardless, I dont hate the looks moving forward....think we have chances with either phase of PNA as long as we don't go back to a -5SD -PNA.  Im a believer in less is more....dont always want/need an epic tandem of tellies to score. Should be an interesting window coming up.

7 hours ago, Ji said:
7 hours ago, Ji said:
Euro looks interesting

Suppressd

That’s a legitimate possibility but it’s inherent risk anytime we are in a good pattern with big storm risk. We need tha risk of suppression because that is what also gives us the possibility of a big storm. Without a suppressive flow to resist strong WAA and ridging any amplifying string wave will cut to our north. Of course the risk then becomes any wave not amplified enough will get squashed to our south. 

We should get 2 weeks of a great pattern, then just an ok one. The problem is, that the first week of the good pattern there is no real potential for storms until Friday. Then next week looks to be messed up from the "wintercane" leading to storms most likely missing.  Something to keep in mind however is the fact that there are still some good outcomes on the table this weekend, and if we get a good outcome then it also opens up next week.

18 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Is this the buzzword this season? No more bomb cyclone?

Haha, maybe so!  Did it override "-PNA!!!" from earlier in the season?  Seems every year has the big buzzword, in the media and elsewhere.  Like "Polar Vortex!!" back around 2014.

Anyhow, to your point above, yeah if we don't have some ridiculous extreme -PNA, that doesn't have to be a bad thing.  I thought we typically actually need some kind of southeast ridging (a little, not crazy!) to keep storms from being too suppressed.  Always the tight-rope, I suppose!  But the upcoming pattern does look intriguing.  Hopefully we can score.

30 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Just for the record, I'm not debbing at all.  When I deb, that's when you know it's really bad.  I'm just cursing the Gyre from hell on the GFS because it's ****ing everything up on that model. 

It's in a strong shear zone and should transition to subtropical before causing too much damage. That said, I've asked FCPS to close just in case. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic