• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Javon75
    Newest Member
    Javon75

February 14-16 Winter Storm Part 2

IMG-4290.jpgWhat it looked like around 4am when I got up to use the bathroom. It's been fun watching that SUV slowly turn into a "snowmobile" over the last couple of weeks. 

• Like 15
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

That was the old days with the nipher gauge.  They switched to a snow saber about 5 years or so and they've been fine since (Dare I say maybe even a bit generous with their measurements at times?).  I'm about 10 minutes from the airport and that report is not crazy. 

Didn’t know that actually thanks for letting me know. Wonder if we get more snow late this week than this system. Looks like lake effect potential is good?

14 minutes ago, featherwx said:

IMG-4290.jpgWhat it looked like around 4am when I got up to use the bathroom. It's been fun watching that SUV slowly turn into a "snowmobile" over the last couple of weeks. 

Remarkable. Could I share your photo on a different weather site?

8 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Remarkable. Could I share your photo on a different weather site?

Sure thing! What's the site, just out of curiosity? 

really solid event in east lansing, easily the biggest snowstorm ive seen since ghd 2. about 14.5 inches of snow on the ground, id say around 9 of that is from last night. went on a walk and saw snow drifts up to at least 2.5 feet.

74A79421-DEA1-423C-BC13-1A8495ED06B8.jpeg

• Like 6

Been outside much of the morning cleaning up and just taking it all in.  What can I say.  I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.  Just an incredible sight to see so much snow on the ground.  Took some depth measurements and averaged out right around 24".  It is sort of hard to believe that I am here and not somewhere else like a snowbelt.  

• Like 15

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
1115 AM CST TUE FEB 16 2021

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0700 AM     SNOW             WEST RIDGE - CHICAGO    42.00N 87.70W
02/16/2021  M18.6 INCH       COOK               IL   COCORAHS

TWO DAY TOTAL. COCORAHS STATION IL-CK-94
            LINCOLNWOOD 1.8 E.

9.0" with wave 2 after 2.0" with wave 1. lots of drifts. Seems dtx is considering them 2 events. DTW had 1.8" wave 1 and 8.6" wave 2. As expected east side hardest hit.  Due to the drifting snow depth is extremely variable however an average of 14-15".

FB_IMG_1613497642283.jpg

FB_IMG_1613497649775.jpg

FB_IMG_1613497655245.jpg

FB_IMG_1613497675895.jpg

FB_IMG_1613498386335.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, featherwx said:

I don't think there's a word in the English language to describe what I feel looking at this..."jealous" would be the closest approximation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Finished with about 18 which jives with surrounding, depth is incredible now

20210216-115126.jpg

28" depth reported in Evanston.  

From the wife. Lakeshore East.

Edit: From the ground to the branches on those trees is about 3 feet. I'd estimate well over 20" on the ground based on this picture.

121E5721-DBC1-40F1-B972-150468ECD445.jpeg

• Like 5

Crazy depths around Chicago. Depths gotten quite nice here in Southeast Michigan as well. East Side has the deepest snow right now. Snow depth in SE MI vary anywhere from 11 to 18". We had 15" here this morning, 14" at Detroit, 15" White Lake, 13" ann arbor, 16" bad axe, 17" Richmond.  As mentioned above the 17" snow depth in Toledo is their deepest since 1978. We however had deeper snow in 2014 & 2015.

• Like 1

6-7'' reports in STL city, our local office was spot on. Really enjoyed this storm! 

Snow came down harder than I expected last night.  Difficult to measure though as the wind whipped not only the new snow but older layers as well.  Only measured about 5" new on average, but it's probably like 12:1 ratio since the wind did such a number on it.  That's on top of the 2" from the night before, so at least 7" total.  Definitely not fluff anymore though.  Drifts were hard to shovel.  Total depth on the ground is now around 17" IMBY, including the hard packed stuff at the bottom.  It's over 20" in some places though, both due drifting and old crust from January that didn't melt completely everywhere.

• Like 1

Got 1-2in sun night into mon morning then picked up another 4-5in with the deformation band. So storm total in the 5-7in range. Hard to measure because of drifting. Biggest snow of the season. Finally met high end advisory to low end warning level snow! 

• Like 2