Hoosier

February 14-16 Winter Storm Part 2

Recommended Posts

Haven't had a storm this drifty in awhile. Interesting that some of the windiest observations came right here in Southeast Michigan, seems odd so far from the low track. Some sweet drifts out there but makes it hard to measure. Going with 8.3" for the main wave and then when you add the 2" from yesterday morning it would be 10.3" over the past 30 hours. Avg snow depth 14".  I would say the models did well with the storm here but as always we saw the cold temperatures and assumed higher ratios than it would be.  This event was pure powder, some of the drifts are even packed, until the very end when we are adding a little fluff on top. Can't wait to go out and play. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice event. Great to see such a spread the wealth event, and so unusual to see this type of storm in this type of air mass. Moving over to the 17t-19th event to coax it west. Congrats, to those that struck white gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No personal measurement but have a report of 10.5” from a nearby ham radio spotter reporting his total. Seems about right. The heaviest band slide just east of Kokomo for the first couple of hours. When board reports of “ripping snow” came from Indy, it was just moderate here.

Drifts reported of 3-4 feet in the county. It will be a long day digging out.


.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Bust. Calling it about 5" but with the drifting it's impossible to tell.  Snow shut off around 4am so we had no chance at anything significant with only 7 hours of accumulations.  Definitely a 15:1+ ratio snow though, very airy.  

Very disappointing tbh. Couldn’t even the crack the 6” mark with the main system plus the first wave was a bust. Oh well.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 500 mbvort said:

Very disappointing tbh. Couldn’t even the crack the 6” mark with the main system plus the first wave was a bust. Oh well.

Hey, nice to meet you. :)

Yeah, well, that's how we roll here in the Six. 

Over 100cm/40" for the season officially though.  4th straight year.  Haven't done that since the 70s if you're looking for a bit of a silver lining.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Hey, nice to meet you. :)

Yeah, well, that's how we roll here in the Six. 

Over 100cm/40" for the season officially though.  4th straight year.  Haven't done that since the 70s if you're looking for a bit of a silver lining.

Definitely doesn’t seem like we’ve had that much the last few years probably because it’s been so mild we haven’t been able to sustain a snowpack. Thought for sure we’d be a lock for 6-8” based on what I was hearing upstream from the Midwest posters. Damn flake size lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Bust. Calling it about 5" but with the drifting it's impossible to tell.  Snow shut off around 4am so we had no chance at anything significant with only 7 hours of accumulations.  Definitely a 15:1+ ratio snow though, very airy.  

Very disappointing, especially when you consider all the hype.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 500 mbvort said:

Definitely doesn’t seem like we’ve had that much the last few years probably because it’s been so mild we haven’t been able to sustain a snowpack. Thought for sure we’d be a lock for 6-8” based on what I was hearing upstream from the Midwest posters. Damn flake size lol.

About to head out and shovel. My eyeball guess is about 6-7" fell. 

This event though should bring most of the GTA to 6-8" snow cover and Im holding out hope that Thursday night can at least bring another 2-4". 

edit: Plus if you like snow cover like me, that 1-2" base in the GTA and the 5" base at my house was turning into a glacier and is now covered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 500 mbvort said:

Definitely doesn’t seem like we’ve had that much the last few years probably because it’s been so mild we haven’t been able to sustain a snowpack. Thought for sure we’d be a lock for 6-8” based on what I was hearing upstream from the Midwest posters. Damn flake size lol.

Flake size sucked initially but I went outside around 4am it was pouring snow globe dendrites.  Had that persisted through 12z like the models had indicated we would have easily got up to 8 or 9". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Very disappointing, especially when you consider all the hype.

Usually how it goes around here. That’s why yyz struggles to get 12” big dogs consistently heck even 8” seem tough to come by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

~10" here in Toledo.  spoty reports of up to a foot in a lot of the burbs.  Still waiting on the official tally at the airport

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Very disappointing, especially when you consider all the hype.

Funny, the bashers on Twitter who love to pile on when there's a bust are silent.  Most people there seem to be under the impression the storm verified because of all the snow from their rooftops that blew onto their driveways. :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 500 mbvort said:

Usually how it goes around here. That’s why yyz struggles to get 12” big dogs consistently heck even 8” seem tough to come by.

We did have a big dog in late January 2019. but, yes, it's rare.

Those accumulation maps posted yesterday would have nailed it...if they were in centimetres. not inches!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

Missed my midnight measurement...:sleepy: :D, but woke up at 4 to start shoveling. Measured 4.3" additional...so a storm total of 9.7". Good stuff.

Nice.  Sounds bout the same here.  Hopefully Ricky (LOT) uses your measurement for an “official” total for Kankakee.  Going to be interesting, to say the least, to see what the other observers  totals are.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

We did have a big dog in late January 2019. but, yes, it's rare.

Those accumulation maps posted yesterday would have nailed it...if they were in centimetres. not inches!

But Jan 2019 was a localized big dog. Region wide it’s been awhile. Maybe feb 2015?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WeatherMonger said:

Doesn't make sense to me, 5.8" on .56" QPF when it was 3 degrees or colder and snow depth is 3". 

 

20210216_053206.thumb.jpg.27751bab53e327face719c9f51b6e589.jpg

Snow depth is as of 7am...so it was before the current storm started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Funny, the bashers on Twitter who love to pile on when there's a bust are silent.  Most people there seem to be under the impression the storm verified because of all the snow from their rooftops that blew onto their driveways. :lol:

:lol: Yeah, this storm really underperformed. Only 11cm at YYZ. Another one to add to our list. 

The November storm still reigns as our biggest storm this winter. :lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

:lol: Yeah, this storm really underperformed. Only 11cm at YYZ. Another one to add to our list. 

The November storm still reigns as our biggest storm this winter. :lmao:

Meh wouldn’t trust the YYZ report as they always underestimate. Looks loke

more snow rolling in that can maybe push totals to 6”?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.