Total Members
    Most Online
    JimMadson
    Newest Member
    JimMadson

February 14-16 Winter Storm Part 2

Just now, vortex said:

What you have for storm total so far?

8.7". That's adding the 3.3" in the past 2 hours to the 5.4" storm total from 6:30 or so. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

KMDW 160253Z 34015KT 1/4SM R31C/2400V2800FT +SN BLSN VV003 M13/M16 A3005 RMK AO2 SLP202 PRESENT WX DRSN SNINCR 3/24 P0002 60005 T11331161 58002 $

radar showing the insane rates may be slipping east a tad of them now... between them and the loop..and shifting west across northern Cook

Just now, miamarsden8 said:

I guess it depends on what you consider significant. It could probably be here til like 1 am, which could give you theoretically 6-ish inches. That's significant.

I'd be thrilled with 6", but those snowfall rates won't last long. That initial batch of heavy snow moved through very quickly. Still, some impressive bands yet to come through. We'll see...

Dry slot pushing pretty fast north. Might be ending here sooner than I thought. Definitely best snowstorm of this lame winter here. Sadly missed a lot of the heavy banding to the east. When all is said and done should be in 4-6in range for storm total. Hard to measure though because of all the drifting. Next storm trending towards a dud here so glad this one at least trended better here. Congrats to the Champaign, Indianapolis, Chicago folk. You all look to jackpot with this. 

Cleveland Mets are saying the big snow should occur between 10pm and 3am. Looks like a dry socket over much of central/northeast Ohio, and more sleet and mix pulling up into Canton. This storm was REALLY hyped up here, hopefully it's not a total bust. People expecting 8-14 inches throughout Northern Ohio.

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

SNINCR of 1/2/2/3/3 the last 5 hours at MDW.

That's a minimum of 8.5" during that time.

lol, wow

Guessing by visual depth and shoveling earlier KSPI will end up in the 6.5 - 7.5" range. i don't know how you accurately measure with todays conditions. Drove by the airport on the way home and it's an expansive flatland with little wind block as one could imagine, but the road was bare and wind blown snow whisking across it.

LE has tried to push towards ORD several times this morning/afternoon/evening, but all attempts have generally failed.

Another attempt is being made now, and it's probably the best attempt yet.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Early days but so far flake size is a bit underwhelming. Still time for that to change but given this is a quick hitter going to need things to ramp up in the next 1.5-2 hours. 

I usually find that an average between Kuchera and 10:1 works out best. Unless it's lake effect or slop, then Kuchera all the way.

7" seems like a good bet to me at this stage.

After going outside, I'm not sure what to make of any of this. It definitely got to 3.5-4.5 inches as of now, but it's basically light snow, and unless more builds up, we're looking at the end in Fairfield. We dodged the cool bands that went through Mason, and honestly, ending at 5-7 inches is fine, but there's a part of me that's really unsure what to think at this point. We had 2 inches by the end of the early band, so getting 3-5 out of this later band is very interesting, if nothing else, given how much more potent the later band looked. It's not over - time will tell obviously if we get more snow building - but as of right now, my optimism isn't very high. That said, seeing the pictures from Indiana has been the highlight of all of this, and I'm really glad to have at least bore witness to one of the most interesting storms I've ever seen. Just didn't play out in my favor this time, got 7 out of the last storm (the one that dropped 10 in the city of Cincy itself), so really, given the fact that last winter, we were lucky if we got 7 inches, I guess this is something comparatively.

And all the models were in agreement for so long to see 6-12 inches, so I don't blame anyone. I know it's not an exact science, but I also knew that A: that dry slot was trouble, and B: I knew those NW shifts were going to end the game. 

• Like 1

9+ hours straight rippin here Indy and its still going strong. Looks like another 1.5  - 2 hours of full on winter storm. This is awesome!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Shit isn’t good out here in the stix. 19” base of powder that had plenty of time to dry out with -20 dews is blowing like crazy. 

Snagged this from a Facebook group, but it’s a fair representation of our east/west roads. 

image.thumb.png.a346080b1162a7baa0e5cffc278957dd.png

My wife just informed me that apparently a train has become stuck in a snow drift south of DeKalb.

A TRAIN.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, sbnwx85 said:

Best rates and flake size yet. Gotta be two inches per hour.

5DB0FFDB-76F5-4B8E-828F-A15D52530CE7.png

I was watching that band go nuts up there by SB wondering what it looked like on the ground. There's another moderate band over FW right now and then the end is near..

• Like 1

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL  
928 PM CST MON FEB 15 2021  

.TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON  

.DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0926 PM     HEAVY SNOW       3 SW MIDWAY AIRPORT     41.74N 87.78W  
02/15/2021  M11.9 INCH       COOK               IL   CO-OP OBSERVER     

3 INCHES FROM 7:45 PM TO 8:55 PM; SD 23   
            INCHES.   

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mimillman said:

This thing just parked over the northside

can't ever quite make it to ORD though with the pushes

0 for 3 now

the storm total difference between ORD and MDW will be LOL X 10 

due to the above plus  *  snow measurements early on at ORD

Just now, janetjanet998 said:

can't ever quite make it to ORD though with the pushes

0 for 3 now

the storm total difference between ORD and MDW will be LOL X 10 

due to the above plus ?? snow measurements early on

Very N/S orientation of the LE band. Benefitted areas near the lake like Uptown and Lakeview up north and areas just inland towards southern Cook like MDW. Actually not hearing much from downtown, but the wife is a questionable source...

Just got in from shoveling.  Wow.  I'm calling my current snow depth at 20" but honestly it's a bit hard to say for sure given all of the blowing and drifting that has occurred.  In any case I've only seen a depth like this a couple other times.  I have a few piles that are each 5-6 feet high.

• Like 5