Total Members
    Most Online
    friday
    Newest Member
    friday

February 13, 2021 Ice Storm Obs

2 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Easily the best event to be fringed.

Total dearth of accretion on the trees, which is the prettiest part of this. Think it's just too warm here. 

I mean it's 28 degrees, it should accrete, but the sun angle/UHI this late in February is very real.  Starting to hear some pingers here too, but no real accretion going on.

8 minutes ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

Surprised at the lack of accumulation on the trees so far in Annapolis. Sleety/freeze rain accumulation on cars and wood surfaces but everything else just wet. 

Surprising considering we have accumulation on everything at the far southern end of Anne Arundel. Might just be that we are a little bit colder outside the city, temp has been steady around 29 since 9:00

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EHoffman said:

I mean it's 28 degrees, it should accrete, but the sun angle/UHI this late in February is very real.

Near Downtown DC, it seems to be accretion on some trees, but not on other trees, even in some cases right next to each other. I find this to be unusual. 

• Like 1

Solid ice, not sleet, covering the sides of the paved alley here in N. Bethesda beside my building. Untreated sidewalks are glazed over as well. More ice on an actual street surface than on the trees is a new experience for me. 

19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Fringed 

Lucky! Appears your tiny bit of extra latitude is keeping you out of this as I get the northern extent of it. It’s been sleet here mainly 

57 minutes ago, diatae said:

Everything is aglaze, lol. Cars are encased. Icicles forming on the edges of the portico. Been in this freezing drizzle for about 2 hours. 26/26 La Plata

I'm so confused. I'm way, way northwest from LaPlata and I'm currently watching what little ice I had on my car windshield melting and sliding off the car. There's literally no ice here.

Heavy sleety rain in SE DC. Looks wet but icy on grass, unpaved surfaces. Streets are a combo of wet and suspicious black ice patches. Don't envy anyone who has to go on these roads later. Power lines looking shiny too.

Current temp is 32. 

Just now, osfan24 said:

I'm so confused. I'm way, way northwest from LaPlata and I'm currently watching what little ice I had on my car windshield melting and sliding off the car. There's literally no ice here.

Driveway is wet, steps are icy. Our blue colored van is covered in ice, but the ice has melted off our black Honda Civic. Was hoping for more sleet.

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Driveway is wet, steps are icy. Our blue colored van is covered in ice, but the ice has melted off our black Honda Civic. Was hoping for more sleet.

Yeah I much prefer sleet to freezing rain. I've had a few periods where echoes got heavier and it turned over to a mix of sleet and freezing rain, but been mostly freezing rain. Although, it really just seems like rain. Not upset by it as I'm not a big freezing rain guy, more just perplexed how areas in Southern MD are way icier than here.

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I might have won the sleet contest.  If there was one.  

The JFX Pepsi sign claims another victim. Northbound 83 shutdown and a parking lot all the way back to downtown 

No ice though. This happens every time there’s a drop of rain in Baltimore 

DC7720F4-3DF8-44B1-AB9C-FE5255B49C23.jpeg

• Haha 2

26/17 with a light freezing drizzle 

5 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

22, Freezing Drizzle....I have a nice creme brulee coating on the snow which yields a nice crunch as well as hunger.

Did you rent out a log cabin or is this permanent?

7 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Getting some solid accretion on branches now.

E0DC4D56-CFC2-4667-B560-186EF114EB1E.jpeg

Wow gorgeous. Surprised there’s accretion in TP. I’m in Chevy Chase and the trees are just wet. 

30 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Easily the best event to be fringed.

Total dearth of accretion on the trees, which is the prettiest part of this. Think it's just too warm here. 

Temp is clearly not the issue - lack of elevation and the date is the issue

Car is icy but solar radiation definitely seems to be helping and not allowing real ice accretion on other surfaces. If there’s anything left around sunset that might change though 

• Like 2