Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 13, 2021 Ice Storm Obs

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, dukeblue219 said:

Same deal in Silver Spring: it's been raining and sleeting on and off all day at 27 degrees, but very little is accumulating on trees or powerlines, and even our quiet neighborhood street is not slippery. 

Ice on the car and back deck looks nice but no real consequences yet. 

Interesting, I’m right down the road in Takoma park and everything is icing up very nicely.  Are you near downtown silver spring?

1 hour ago, WxMan1 said:

As many of us hinted last night...

Not a surprise at all. We have so many events, including the 3/16" of ice here with the last event after 2.5" of snow, where we get a glaze that sneaks up on us. There were far more glaring model signals going into this event however, including a steadfast ECMWF, that were screaming ISW. 

I kept pointing that out but everyone told me it was going to be a “non-event”. Looked like a clear high impact event in dc to me at least.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chris21 said:

I kept pointing that out but everyone told me it was going to be a “non-event”. Looked like a clear high impact event in dc to me at least.

When Wxman1 chimes in it’s legit.  The sleet is what threw me...didn’t expect mostly sleet

7 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Seeing everyone say how either they are getting ice or just no ice accretion is weird because for me at least there has been almost no ice on the trees. There is also no glaze of ice except on the deck but the roads are sleet covered and so is the yard. Seems at least for me to be more of a sleet storm.  

I am in Herndon and My bushes and pine trees have lot of ice accretion. Really starting to build up. Beautiful to see but worried there could be some damage later

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chris21 said:

Mt. Pleasant is def encased in ice!! 29 with sleet/freezing rain continuing. Huge NAM bust lol.

334DD018-E959-45A6-89D5-B9EF97300816.jpeg

Yeah there really does seem in be incredible local variation with this one.  I'm looking at my trees all becoming encased in ice and hearing that just up the road in silver spring there is no accretion on trees.  Pretty interesting stuff.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic