Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 13, 2021 Ice Storm Obs

WxUSAF

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Car is icy but solar radiation definitely seems to be helping and not allowing real ice accretion on other surfaces. If there’s anything left around sunset that might change though 

I must be in my own private ice storm lol. My vehicles look like they're in the ice age. Pavement is iffy in spots and the trees are starting to sag.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

Did you rent out a log cabin or is this permanent?

Short answer - Rental.

Long answer -   I'll be here until early April, so hopefully there are some marginal events or legit events in March that I can cash in on.   So far an A-/B+ for weather for my first 2 weeks.  Lots of precip and clouds, persistent 6"+ snow cover.  Only cracked 40 once, and four accumulating snow events totaling 15". No serious cold, but persistent below normal temps.  Had a low of 13, but that was the only really cold night.   

I called an audible in mid January, and had to stay in the "general" DMV area per WFH guidelines at work,  so this has worked out nicely.  It could have been 2 weeks of 40 and sunny with no snow or snowcover.  Mid January was way too late to get any decent place for less than a billion dollars near Snowshoe or Canaan, so I had to find a way to stay within the geographic limitations and maximize snow potential. I am pleased with my choice given what was available.   I rejected some nicer places because the elevation wasn't good enough.  

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

Short answer - Rental.

Long answer -   I'll be here until early April, so hopefully there are some marginal events or legit events in March that I can cash in on.   So far an A-/B+ for weather for my first 2 weeks.  Lots of precip and clouds, persistent 6"+ snow cover.  Only cracked 40 once, and four accumulating snow events totaling 15". No serious cold, but persistent below normal temps.  Had a low of 13, but that was the only really cold night.   

I called an audible in mid January, and had to stay in the "general" DMV area per WFH guidelines at work,  so this has worked out nicely.  It could have been 2 weeks of 40 and sunny with no snow or snowcover.  Mid January was way too late to get any decent place for less than a billion dollars near Snowshoe or Canaan, so I had to find a way to stay within the geographic limitations and maximize snow potential. I am pleased with my choice given what was available.   I rejected some nicer places because the elevation wasn't good enough.  

Love this post matt. We only briefly met in rockville a few years back but I always appreciate your thoughts/posts and really like the way you think. I feel like I know you better than some of my real life friends. I'll eternally root for your yard to get destroyed no matter where you move around to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I'm so confused. I'm way, way northwest from LaPlata and I'm currently watching what little ice I had on my car windshield melting and sliding off the car. There's literally no ice here.

Dunno what to tell ya. Was just reporting what I was seeing at my house way, way southeast of you an hour ago. I have an odd little micro climate in my part of La Plata that usually has me slightly cooler than other areas of La Plata. I have reported caved roads when another poster from the east side of 301 had just started getting snow to stick. 

23 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Hard to measure but I’ll call it 1/8 of an inch I think. 

4C17F374-C8CD-4E28-940E-99E992B7D584.jpeg

IIRC, and don't quote me on this, the guidelines for measuring ice accretion is taking the average of the amount of ice on top of a twig and below the twig. Ex: 0.12" ice accretion on top of the twig and 0.02" of ice visible below the twig gets you 0.07" of ice accretion (0.12 + 0.02)/ 2  

I'll double check though.

5 minutes ago, George BM said:

IIRC, and don't quote me on this, the guidelines for measuring ice accretion is taking the average of the amount of ice on top of a twig and below the twig. Ex: 0.12" ice accretion on top of the twig and 0.02" of ice visible below the twig gets you 0.07" of ice accretion (0.12 + 0.02)/ 2  

I'll double check though.

I've never given it any thought until this moment.  If that's the case it would be more like 1/16 of an inch I guess.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic