Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

1 minute ago, caviman2201 said:

Microclimates are always interesting. I remember when I was commuting attending UMBC but living at home with my folks in Mt. Airy. I'd leave school and it would be raining and 36 and as I drove out Rt. 70 it would get progressively more wintery as I drove. I always loved that.

Did you take any classes with Jeff Halverson?

Just now, wolfpackwxDC said:

Far western corner of Arlington and we are at 27.7/18.5. What's interesting is that we bottomed out at 26.6/17.5 about an hour ago. No wind for the last 3. We are 300 feet ish above and 8 miles away from DCA, so it's always interesting to see how much we can differ.

I’m about 4 miles NW of you and have about 150’ elevation.  It is 4 degrees warmer here.  Looks like we set up an inversion, which also tracks because the air quality got worse in the last few hours too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pazzo83 said:

There was actually some research done showing that upper NW was part of the city with a much weaker UHI.

Wish we could have an official reporting site up there near the zoo or rock creek park that would have less river and urban heat influence. Like Central Park in nyc. Seems it would be a more accurate measurement for snowfall at least. 

6 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

This mountain top of Cleveland Park does wonders.   In all seriousness, it kinda does.  I've been at work in marginal events down in SE near Nat's stadium and it's snowing for like hours with no stickage.  I get on on the subway and get home and it's a winter wonderland.  Always amazed by it.

100% agree with this. Have notice the same thing in Arlington. Last winter when we had our one and only event (I think? it happened during the late afternoon and the government let everyone out early, but that sounds like every event around here...) we were living in Courthouse and I needed to drive to our house near East falls Church. Courthouse had bare ground but by the time I got to East falls Church there was a coating everywhere. Elevation!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

This mountain top of Cleveland Park does wonders.   In all seriousness, it kinda does.  I've been at work in marginal events down in SE near Nat's stadium and it's snowing for like hours with no stickage.  I get on on the subway and get home and it's a winter wonderland.  Always amazed by it.

I live up the street from you in Chevy Chase DC and work near 14th and U and the difference between the 2 is often quite marked with only 4 miles difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcwx20015 said:

I live up the street from you in Chevy Chase DC and work near 14th and U and the difference between the 2 is often quite marked with only 4 miles difference.

Yeah, on the other side of the park I notice it ascending from columbia heights up to carter baron on 16th.  I work in Columbia heights and sometimes there won’t be any stickage but then you get up there and all of a sudden it is. 

2 minutes ago, Rhode Islander in Balto said:

28.9 / 16.8 in Parkville on the city/county line. Temps actually up about a half a degree in the past hour, dews climbing.

Nice to see some other NE Baltimore folks in here!

I got 27 in Parkville, but to be fair I'm using online sources. Sounds like you may have your own temperature gauge. 

1 minute ago, Steve25 said:

Been away most of the day, just had a quick model question. Is the RGEM the only model showing major accumulations(12+) near Baltimore region? 

Euro and GFS have some big totals near Baltimore. It just matters exactly what part, because the difference is huge based on how far south the band sinks and where it sinks south.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rhode Islander in Balto said:

28.9 / 16.8 in Parkville on the city/county line. Temps actually up about a half a degree in the past hour, dews climbing.

Nice to see some other NE Baltimore folks in here!

Former NE Baltimore City(35 years born and raised).....relocated to FL a few years ago. Still enjoy following and watching. 58 here lol. In-laws were supposed to leave tomorrow to drive down from Kingsville but delaying their trip until after the storm. Rooting for Y’all to catch a good one.I’ll be following Obs from the boat tomorrow :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wolfpackwxDC said:

100% agree with this. Have notice the same thing in Arlington. Last winter when we had our one and only event (I think? it happened during the late afternoon and the government let everyone out early, but that sounds like every event around here...) we were living in Courthouse and I needed to drive to our house near East falls Church. Courthouse had bare ground but by the time I got to East falls Church there was a coating everywhere. Elevation!

Same. Taking the VRE from the city to Burke can be night and day in marginal setups, whether during or just after. Being at 325’ or so and a few miles west of the fall line can make a really noticeable difference.

Ticked up a degree in Burke - now at 28 - but it doesn’t really matter. No concerns at all with the WAA piece. It only once the transfer begins that I’ll have to worry about snizzle. Of course, after that I’ll have to worry about whether I’ll get in the southern tip of the CCB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

There was actually some research done showing that upper NW was part of the city with a much weaker UHI.

Upper NW climo is closer to mine than downtown by the river imho. I remember many storms where tracker and matt would be surprisingly different. Lots of trees and an extra 300' up changes the game. Which is great for tracker but man, sometimes matt's obs make me feel pretty sad for him. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic