Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

These storms are pretty fun with surprises in real time. Not huge shifts obviously but as long as your in the game for part 2, anything is possible. Cuts both ways but man, if those yellow and orange stripes setup in our area, the obs are going to be off the chain. I never expected to get raked like I did with the second feb 2010 storm and Jan 16 leading in. But those bands were ridiculous. No model really had that in my yard. 

The second February storm was a real treat. The cherry on top of what was already the most epic winter we'll ever see. I think we were forecast for 2-4 inches in the Ellicott City area, give or take, but then that band swept in like a curved pendulum and before we knew it we had another blizzard on our hands. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnowDreamer said:

I notice that showing a lot of extra precip around the fringes. Do you find that your product shows HRRR underestimating the outer-edges of precip. often, or is this unusual?

I think some of the fringes differ because the actual radar may show very light returns (virga) that the model doesn't have.

It's more useful to look at the difference in heavier returns. I may filter the images to only show 15 dbZ or higher instead of 5 to eliminate non-precipitation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

When you say N. VA.....where are you referring to?   In the metro area, that means like Alexandria/Arlington, FFX region

The qpf increased across N VA and DC and snow mean increased about an inch in DC. Combo of both a little more qpf with WAA and a little better CCB  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

Still 34 here downtown. UHI doin work.

This mountain top of Cleveland Park does wonders.   In all seriousness, it kinda does.  I've been at work in marginal events down in SE near Nat's stadium and it's snowing for like hours with no stickage.  I get on on the subway and get home and it's a winter wonderland.  Always amazed by it.

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

This mountain top of Cleveland Park does wonders.   In all seriousness, it kinda does.  I've been at work in marginal events down in SE near Nat's stadium and it's snowing for like hours with no stickage.  I get on on the subway and get home and it's a winter wonderland.  Always amazed by it.

Microclimates are always interesting. I remember when I was commuting attending UMBC but living at home with my folks in Mt. Airy. I'd leave school and it would be raining and 36 and as I drove out Rt. 70 it would get progressively more wintery as I drove. I always loved that.

Nothing comes close to the microclimates in San Fran though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

There was actually some research done showing that upper NW was part of the city with a much weaker UHI.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic