Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

Just now, ovechkin said:

4 hours of snow in subfreezing temps in January with a pre dawn start with side roads barey covered and about an inch to show for it overall.  Maybe my expectations are simply too high. 

This is how it is around here for the most part.  I grew up in upstate NY and it took me a while to get used to the fact that even some of our “cold powder” events aren’t really that cold and there’s still slush on my driveway lol.  It’s no big deal, we live in a marginal snow region on a rapidly warming planet.  Just enjoy whatever we get!!! That’s what I’m doing and not sweating the details. 

10 minutes ago, NovaWahoo said:

Woke up this morning, looked out the window and saw 2 foxes in 5 minutes. They must love the snow. 

Same here.  On the steps to our deck and in-between yards.  They're always around, but apparently love the snow.

We had a little burst when the snow started, but just light pixie dust now.  I got up early to go to Giant but did some last minute grading first and by the time that I got there, it was pretty busy.  Why in the heck is it so hard for people to follow the dang arrows?!?

25 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Neighborhood fox out for a stroll in the snow

I had to chase a fox out of the yard around 6:30AM this morning because he was too interested in the pile of kittens snuggled on our back porch.

image.png.3727c6cf49f4411e1f47190b5cce1904.png

• Like 7

1 minute ago, ovechkin said:

4 hours of snow in subfreezing temps in January with a pre dawn start with side roads barey covered and about an inch to show for it overall.  Maybe my expectations are simply too high. 

I hear you - we all are chasing HECS storms. But of course not every storm is going to be a HECS or MECS. For me it's all about the scenery - get the grass blades covered up completely and I'll Jebwalk and enjoy the snow. Unfortunately, the advent of the internet and widespread distribution of snow maps and weather models has really hurt the enjoyment of snow for weather weenies everywhere. 

We could be having another winter like last winter - so I try to look at the bright side. It's snowing and it's sticking (for the most part). 

3 minutes ago, ovechkin said:

Yeah, not gonna lie, very underwhelmed here in central MoCo. Congrats to those getting some nice totals. 

I don’t even know how to describe what it’s doing here now. Just kinda drizzling snow.

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Didn’t have too much to work with at school... left my rulers at gone. Has about .2” at the bottom that doesn’t count as the ruler, which is the worst kind of ruler.

Just under 5.

A ruler with a built in math equation adjustment? Yea, that's pretty idiotic with a side order of dum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Roads were partially covered here in the 8am hour. Looks like our side roads are now completely covered. Closing in on (or perhaps at) one inch at this point. A poster above has it right - kind of "drizzling" pixie dust right now. 

Already ran the shovel down the driveway. Very dusty snow - super easy to shovel. 

3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I hear you - we all are chasing HECS storms. But of course not every storm is going to be a HECS or MECS. For me it's all about the scenery - get the grass blades covered up completely and I'll Jebwalk and enjoy the snow. Unfortunately, the advent of the internet and widespread distribution of snow maps and weather models has really hurt the enjoyment of snow for weather weenies everywhere. 

We could be having another winter like last winter - so I try to look at the bright side. It's snowing and it's sticking (for the most part). 

Agree. Much better than last year. Ignore the clown maps and enjoy the snow. 

Eyeballing maybe ~1.5" there about where I'm at (Chevy Chase, MD area).  Light snow falling, clinging to everything right now with the calm wind.  Very pretty!  I will be going for a @Jebman Jebwalk soon, and get some photos!!

By the way, nobody has mentioned much about the wind potential during this event, but looks like it could become pretty brisk?

8 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

In fairness, this winter has been barely better than last winter so far. I know we've probably gotten about 4 inches of snow this year compared to whatever last year was, but both winters have been awful. The good news is this winter is only half over and the last couple of weeks of February might hold promise.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic