Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

Just now, MDweatherman said:

Hey there! God I hope so! My dreams of a good snowblower snow seem less and less every minute here.

its early. it was always going to be midday or so before we go into good returns up here. plus we get in on the action tomorrow with the coastal. i am sure youll put the snowblower to use :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Not sure what you’re aiming for, but I definitely don’t hate it. Nice snow for DC and north tomorrow afternoon.

I was very pleased with the GFS too, but the GFS para has the same general shape of the QPF field but cuts down the amounts between DC and the MD/PA by at least 1/2.

Just came back after about 1.5 hours with my 2 year old. No matter what we get that made it worth it, he loved it. First real snow.

Regarding the dry spot on the radar, we're in it in Gainesville and still have flakes coming down, but lighter than before. Measured about 2.5 so far.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Not sure what you’re aiming for, but I definitely don’t hate it. Nice snow for DC and north tomorrow afternoon.

Yeah, was just looking a that.  Whatever it's worth, it shows ~2" in DC, with maybe 2-4" just north of there (MoCo/HoCo, etc.), and more heading toward the M/D line.  This is a 24-h amount from 00Z tonight through 00Z tomorrow night.

snku_024h.us_ma.png

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Can’t believe you are complaining with two feet on the ground. Some people /s

THIS! He thinks he has it bad with 2 feet. I'm right by Dulles and somehow only have 2.4" as of 10am w/ flurries. Perhaps extreme substance right by the epic snow-band? :P

2 minutes ago, high risk said:

I was very pleased with the GFS too, but the GFS para has the same general shape of the QPF field but cuts down the amounts between DC and the MD/PA by at least 1/2.

Both drop a solid 0.5” or more of liquid as snow before any mix this evening, so that’s nice to see. Difference is in amounts tomorrow. Guess we’ll see what the King decrees later.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah, was just looking a that.  Whatever it's worth, it shows ~2" in DC, with maybe 2-4" just north of there (MoCo/HoCo, etc.), and more heading toward the M/D line.  This is a 24-h amount from 00Z tonight through 00Z tomorrow night.

snku_024h.us_ma.png

Acceptable in my eyes

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Banding starting to form across northern MD. I know a lot of people are disappointed so far with rates, but some of the models showed this gradual increase in rates yesterday.

yeah, models didn't have the goods up here until after noon. no disappointment here :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gopper said:

Not sure about main roads, but side roads are instant coverage.  Coming down pretty good now, so I would think some main roads are covered, but they usually do a good job keeping 83 pretty clear.  Drive safe!  Hershey open now?  Rides and everything?

Did Hershey lodge and chocolate world for my daughters birthday. Not too busy. Roads in PA were not great, MD highways are good. Nice snow falling here in Lutherville with a temp of 27

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, high risk said:

Actually they look very similar to me now that I look closely?

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Both drop a solid 0.5” or more of liquid as snow before any mix this evening, so that’s nice to see. Difference is in amounts tomorrow. Guess we’ll see what the King decrees later.

Yeah, I didn't explain myself well, but I was referring to tomorrow - big differences in rates for Howard County.

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

Banding starting to form across northern MD. I know a lot of people are disappointed so far with rates, but some of the models showed this gradual increase in rates yesterday.

Rgem was really the only model that showed a giant wall of snow (going from cloudy skies to 1” per hour rates within minutes) Most other models showed 3-6” from the WAA occurring over a 12+ hour period w/ the most snowfall falling in the higher elevations of SWVA.... this is pretty much in line with what’s happening on the ground. Problem is people call it a “WAA thump” and expect heavy snow. It was never going to be a thump. 

Our biggest task today will be checking out the pressure fall maps off the east coast to can get an idea of where this transfer will begin to happen. Literally 50 miles south of the GFS and we are in a much different ball game for part 2 area wide. 

12z GFS actually, to me, leaves the door open for improvement by tomorrow. We are so close to a 12+ snowstorm area wide with that look, it just all comes together a hair too late

• Like 3

Need rates. 

31/27

Not just a hobby for me. I'm a landscaper so this effects snow removal for me. 

Snow started around 7:30. Quickly stuck to everything. Had a little dry spell around 9:30. Roads and even side roads clear now and rates having a hard time overcoming. Snow will not accumulate on roads with a temp of 31 and light/moderate rates. Would be a big bust for snow removal companies in AA county if this continues. 

All guidance has the heavies coming in later this afternoon. So i'm still cautiously optimistic. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic