Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, IronTy said:

That thing is in the doghouse for the foreseeable future.  

It was really more a comment into the mechanics of the storm.   We need the NS more amped up if it's going to come up the coast.

I really never trusted the NAM or RGEM on their own.  Always worth waiting for the better models to come out.

Just now, losetoa6 said:

I think we even did well at my old NE Baltimore hood from the 2 1987 storms . I remember heavy rates in one .

Yes all parts of the city did well. You probably got 10-12 with the first storm  then the 2nd storm was a very cold storm so you probably got 6-8 with that one. Both those storms were in later January.

The storm I was referencing was the wet snow fast moving bomb in Feb. You probably got 10-12 with that one.

• Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Yes. Been a weird winter on the models. A couple of days ago the GFS looked like the Euro does right now. And Euro looked like the NAM does right now. It is maddening in all honesty. 

Thats what I've taken from things this winter.  All the models have jumped around with some storms.  There isn't one that you can hang a hat on because the next run can show a wildly different set up.  Just look at the modeled cold.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, H2O said:

Thats what I've taken from things this winter.  All the models have jumped around with some storms.  There isn't one that you can hang a hat on because the next run can show a wildly different set up.  Just look at the modeled cold.  

Are we positive the cold isn't coming now? Would you bet your flagpole on it?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

We can dream.  Insert “Didn’t the NAM lead the way on _______ first?” comment.  

OMG.. look at that Stripe on the NAM.. Thats a Thread the needle scenario if I have ever seen one.  The funny thing i that the many of the GEFS individual members are showing the same thing!!!

2 hours ago, frd said:

If I may , I understand everything you posted and totally agree, however, given the look of the pattern previously, combined with the weeks and weeks of -AO, -NAO and West based Greenland blocking one would have thought the area North of Dover Delaware and into the Wilmington corridor should have seen a lot more snow to date. 

I understand climo exists for a reason.

As you mentioned our climo is lower due to elevation, ocean NE wind influence ( more so earlier in the season ) and I would even include our latitude as well.    

Miller Bs for sure are way more erratic in snowfall distribution. Even in the 2016 Blizzard where Bob got 30 inches our forecast bust here because the best dynamics were West of the Bay. 

So many variables.  

Hopefully the upcoming pattern eventually produces a storm where the coastal plain can benefit. 

Seems for my area, and maybe @CAPE's as well, a Nino might be more effective because we lock in CAD and then get vigorous over-running.  

Sometimes it’s just bad luck. 2018 was the reverse. Your area did a lot better wrt climo then DC or even my area. You got clipped by the coastals in early January and March that totally missed further west and you still did ok with the late March storm that did get DC. Sometimes there are screw zones in a given year and it’s more due to random chaos then anything else. 

• Like 1