Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The 20-30” amounts are overdone anyway, regardless of location.

Not necessarily in the mid level banding.

You seem to be implying that I am only asserting this because it benefits my BY, which is fine.

I don't forecast that way, but I guess December was a lucky guess, while most of the consensus, including you, had visions of Santa in a swim suite.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, raindancewx said:

For the 28 years I consider La Ninas since 1930-31, Philadelphia has never had more than 12.8 inches of snow in December. Doesn't mean it's impossible, but any models showing that much or more are likely too high. I can see on Weather.com they have 5-8" during the day and then 5-8" during the night on 12/16. I would bet pretty strongly on a different evolution of the storm for the Northeast, just from knowing those stats in Philadelphia. One possible kink in the storm evolution would be the system out here that gets to the NE around 12/14, it's probably going to look somewhat different than depicted once it exits New Mexico. It seems to be trending south and stronger with time.

For Boston, NYC, and Philly, the highest snow totals for 12/12-12/31 from 1931-2019 are:

Boston: 25.4" (2007)

New York City: 29.6" (1947)

Philadelphia: 24.1" (2009)

Cautionary noted: one needs to consider climate change unfortunately...   The ambient Terran troposphere holds more water vapor at a given temperature than it did in 1930-1931.  Even at decimals ..this has a tendency to "synergistically" result in higher individual deposition extremes...but also, maintenance precipitation events are also routinely delivery more in recent modernity.   This is/was both modeled by climate prognostic efforts, and is also empirical/verifying. 

Having said that, that doesn't/won't/shouldn't be accountable in a particular anomaly at PHL, no .. .there could certainlyresult 13" of snow in a La Nina ... regardless of era.  But, the likeliness of it happening now given sufficient cold at/while other analog values, is greater due to increasing ambient moisture in situ to atmospheric events. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Not necessarily in the mid level banding.

You seem to be implying that I am only asserting this because it benefits my BY, which is fine.

I don't forecast that way, but I guess December was a lucky guess, while most of the consensus, including you, had visions of Santa in a swim suite.

Lol. That’s not what I was implying but you have a tendency to not believe early transfers or early occlusions. In a non blocked flow, I’m in your camp all day. In this setup, however, occluding off the NJ coast and crushing the interior mid atl is plausible...in addition to still giving EMA a great event. That’s all. 

Not sure what Dec or winter forecasting has anything to do with this, though, but yes we know your pre season calls are doing very well so far. I’ll have Santa sit on your lap in his long john’s on Christmas morning so you can read him your winter outlook in praise...

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Cautionary noted: one needs to consider climate change unfortunately...   The ambient Terran troposphere holds more water vapor at a given temperature than it did in 1930-1931.  Even at decimals ..this has a tendency to "synergistically" result in higher individual deposition extremes...but also, maintenance precipitation events are also routinely delivery more in recent modernity.   This is/was both modeled by climate prognostic efforts, and is also empirical/verifying. 

Having said that, that doesn't/won't/shouldn't be accountable in a particular anomaly at PHL, no .. .there could certainlyresult 13" of snow in a La Nina ... regardless of era.  But, the likeliness of it happening now given sufficient cold at/while other analog values, is greater due to increasing ambient moisture in situ to atmospheric events. 

There's a first time for everything ;)

45 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Best. Storm. Evah.

(I had 32” in Cambridge with car size drifts) 

Agreed. This pic is like two weeks after that just up the street from CBC. 30"+ in the blizzard, another 2 feet + in that ridiculous long lasting system, Valentine's Day ML massacre, some other smaller events sprinkled in. Special.

205.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

Agreed. This pic is like two weeks after that just up the street from CBC. 30"+ in the blizzard, another 2 feet + in that ridiculous long lasting system, Valentine's Day ML massacre, some other smaller events sprinkled in. Special.

205.jpg

About 20” where I am from that (Juno). I was living in TX at the time and missed it. :axe:

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, Hoth said:

205.jpg

Epic!  I saw some great storms during my Cambridge years.

Did you live in that neighborhood?  
One of my favorite winter activities was walking to Cambridge Brewing Company during big snow storms.  That place never closed for weather.  You could sip a beer at the bar and watch the snow fly sideways through those big glass windows.