Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

18 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

Hmmm my memory isnt anywhere near some others here when it comes to storms, but I think mar 2018 was decent. Like 7-8 inches? I do recall another storm where just inland, like Easton ridgefield etc. had a crushing heavy wet snow that knocked out power for days while right here on the coast we only got 5-6 gloppy inches. Regardless hopefully this finds a way to get everyone, even those folks down in  DC. A classic DC-BOS I95 crusher is always fun

I saw you're other comment too about Milford CT since 2016 which is also wrong. Check these out real quick, then im out for real. Doesnt look you like you did well on Mar 18 but im suspect of that 3.5 in woodmont, i think you got more than 6 from that one. but at least 3 more were around 10 or more.

Feb 17 and Jan 18 were great daytime blizzard condition all-snow type storms. I coulnd't forget them if i tried.

197313862_storm2totalsFINAL.thumb.jpg.ae1c3c87cae5d05721b2bd13190d13f2.jpg02_09.17_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.0effa69d5f6b9082b6ae01d9f63eba4f.jpg01_04.18_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.b056c84bfd91157b8ac39183b0168bb7.jpg

4 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Well, it's tricky to explain effectively. Essentially we use ensembles because we don't understand the uncertainty of our chaotic atmosphere. Taking into account this uncertainty, the model runs several times with slightly perturbed conditions in order to create the individual members in order to best account for all possibilities. That's how we get the ensemble mean. The ensemble control forecast is the ensemble member run from the unperturbed, coarse-resolution initial conditions. Essentially the control run is useless in conclusion

"As you learned earlier, meteorologists compensate by implementing a technique called ensemble forecasting, which gauges the sensitivity of a computer model's prediction to the way it's initialized. Specifically, meteorologists make minor changes to the initialization of a lower-resolution version of a specified operational model called the control member. For example, the control member in the GEFS has lower resolution than the operational GFS model. At any rate, the control member is run using this slightly different initial state. Then meteorologists tweak the initialization of the control member yet another time, in a slightly different way, and run the control member again using this new initial state. This process of "tweaking" the initial conditions of the control member is repeated a number of times (for some models, several dozen times), yielding a set of ensemble members.

If all or most of the ensemble members come up with basically the same numerical prediction for a specific forecast day, meteorologists have a relatively high degree of confidence in that day's forecast. If, however, the tweaked model runs predict several noticeably different scenarios for the day in question, then forecasters have a fairly low degree of confidence in the numerical prediction." (Source) 

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Notice how it kind of hugs the coast down south and gets warmer midlevel air into NJ but then runs into a bit of a brick wall and moves ENE. 

Youre probably going to get a hellacious fronto band near on the northern side of that. 

Yeah. Would expect the deform to set up MHT/CON rather than Adams, MA.

1 hour ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Is it just me or is the Dec 16/17 storm beginning to look more Miller A-esque? Almost a Miller A/B hybrid kind of.

Definitely not a NJ model type system. lol

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I saw you're other comment too about Milford CT since 2016 which is also wrong. Check these out real quick, then im out for real. Doesnt look you like you did well on Mar 18 but im suspect of that 3.5 in woodmont, i think you got more than 6 from that one. but at least 3 more were around 10 or more.

Feb 17 and Jan 18 were great daytime blizzard condition all-snow type storms. I coulnd't forget them if i tried.

197313862_storm2totalsFINAL.thumb.jpg.ae1c3c87cae5d05721b2bd13190d13f2.jpg02_09.17_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.0effa69d5f6b9082b6ae01d9f63eba4f.jpg01_04.18_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.b056c84bfd91157b8ac39183b0168bb7.jpg

Damn you didn’t have to do me like that. LOL. Some solid storms there.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

what is the trend since their last run?  will be interesting to see if any trends develop this afternoon, given a pretty consistent look across models so far.

We’re outside looking in right now, but you know how it goes. A little less confluence and a little more amplification south and it won’t take many bumps to get a fronto band up here on the north side of the QPF gradient. Odd are against it, but we’ve seen it before.

21 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

what is the trend since their last run?  will be interesting to see if any trends develop this afternoon, given a pretty consistent look across models so far.

What I see is the Icon catching onto more a snow event. I do think the thermals with the Icon are warm biased. But..if you notice, it has been correcting with each run.. Eerily towards the Euro ans GFS. I find it more difficult to call the Icon the. " Trend Setter ". Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Probably can count on one hand missing 3 fingers of when it snowed here and in DC.

Just had to check.  ;)
Since we moved to Maine in 1973, I count 27 snowfalls of 6"+ at DCA.  We (at our then current domicile) had 6"+ on 4 of those occasions: 
1/22/1987
1993 superstorm
1/25/2000
2/12-13/2014.
Missing just the pinky