Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I'm a bit surprised there haven't been many recent films on the subject since so many of the storylines are compelling.  Turn is a good TV series based on events of the time. 

We re-watched The Patriot a few weeks ago.  Wasn't quite as good as IO remember but still pretty decent. Quite a bit was fictionalized or cobbled together from unrelated stories. 

Hamilton (now on Disney+) is an interesting take on some of the people/events around then.  I want to read the book that was the source material.

Clearing a bit now.  Back to the deck

One of his best was Apocalypto.   Tremendous.

54 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So I found a flowering cherry tree... good size, at Home Depot and I’m thinking about buying it. 

Will this cause issues in the vicinity of a well? I’m not sure if that was on the list of things to avoid. 

Typically you don’t want any large growing trees near a well, likely won’t have a root system as invasive as a willow or popular tree but I wouldn’t just to be safe. 

7 minutes ago, NSwx said:

Typically you don’t want any large growing trees near a well, likely won’t have a root system as invasive as a willow or popular tree but I wouldn’t just to be safe. 

Thanks.... it’s going to be about 80-100 feet from the well, so hopefully I’ll be safe in that regard. The area where it is going is fairly wet as well, so hopefully the roots won’t be as water seeking 

35 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks.... it’s going to be about 80-100 feet from the well, so hopefully I’ll be safe in that regard. The area where it is going is fairly wet as well, so hopefully the roots won’t be as water seeking 

80-100 feet is plenty of distance I would think. Good luck with the tree,I have one and it’s beautiful.

2 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

Funny recollection ;) The Patriots received all kinds of help and distraction from France among other factors. Happy 4th! :D

No question about it. We owed France a great deal, but it took American victory at Saratoga before France was willing to fully commit to our cause.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

Lot of places are building outside seating and decks which compounds the issue.

Some of those millions on unemployment plus the $600/week are now finding time for the projects they've been putting off. 

Most states I've looked at have forest products manufacturing on the essential activity list and while producing PT isn't mentioned specifically, it fits under the broader field.  Of course, if half the mill's workforce has tested positive for COVID, that would sure have an impact.

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

00z Euro keeps finding ways to deflect the worst of the heat from our region. I liked the d10 plume of near 30C 850s up to Lake Michigan though.

We actually did get 850 mb temp of 30C on a RAOB from ILX (central Illinois) back in 2012.  That was pretty amazing to see as 30C at 850 mb is basically unheard of east of the Mississippi River.

We are taking notice of the models/ensembles.  Even if the extreme heat doesn't materialize, the prolonged nature of temps near/above 90 looks very impressive.  It's one thing to put together a big 90 degree stretch in St. Louis but another thing to do it in Chicago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I try not to plan any, but ornamental cherry, dogwood, and japanese maples are some of your safer bets.