Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

None. Rarely ever is there, no matter the beach . MVY gets in the way , but water is warm . I’ve only seen waves over 4” there once in 18 years of going 

Oh that's right. I surfed 10 footers off Coast Guard beach back in the day. Coast guard beach is my favorite beach in New England. Just perfect 

3bae637f18f414be280d41cdedc2aa12.jpg

• Like 1

I dunno...This passes as miserable for July weekend weather at FMH. Most obs of fog/mist/overcast. https://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KFMH.html

I went to Hampton beach NH yesterday, to avoid the “stuck in dank” in Maine. It took until 12:30 pm to break into partly cloudy, and then clouds came back in by 4. Really tough pattern for the beaches lately...Used to see this regularly when I lived on LI. And it’s why I never want a beach house in the Northeast as a primary residence...marine boundary layer is a bit$h.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Oh that's right. I surfed 10 footers off Coast Guard beach back in the day. Coast guard beach is my favorite beach in New England. Just perfect 

Better than Nauset? I hate the shuttle/drop off aspect of Coast Guard.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I dunno...This passes as miserable for July weekend weather at FMH. Most obs of fog/mist/overcast. https://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KFMH.html

I went to Hampton beach NH yesterday, to avoid the “stuck in dank” in Maine. It took until 12:30 pm to break into partly cloudy, and then clouds came back in by 4. Really tough pattern for the beaches lately...Used to see this regularly when I lived on LI. And it’s why I never want a beach house in the Northeast as a primary residence...marine boundary layer is a bit$h.

Meh I miss the beach so much. The vibe alone is just so cool. Laid back living, so many hours of just listening to the surf and watching the tide. Ass in a law chair toes in the sand with a cold beer in my hand. Doesn't get any better 

12 hours ago, radarman said:

Was out there swimming at Head of the Meadow yesterday.  Saw a pretty nasty looking jellyfish that caught my attention.  

As for the sharks we accept the risk and maintain awareness... 

That’s a great beach.  Pain in the ass to get to with the bluff.  Drops like 100-150’

18 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

you must like sh*t tons of people and shuttle buses ;)

The dune rises sharply north of Coast Guard.  It's a lot more scenic, far fewer people, with the same surf basically from Nauset Light up to about Longnook.  North of there the surf does change a little bit as the coastline curls around, though it can still be ok through Head of the Meadow where the dunes basically end.  Race Point is flat surf all the time, but still scenic and good fishing. 

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

That’s a great beach.  Pain in the ass to get to with the bluff.  Drops like 100-150’

No bluff at Head of the Meadow.   High bluff ends just south of the parking lot of the townside beach, with the National seashore beach (of the same name) adjacent to the north.  Entry is an easy up and over a small dune.

5 minutes ago, radarman said:

you must like sh*t tons of people and shuttle buses ;)

The dune rises sharply north of Coast Guard.  It's a lot more scenic, far fewer people, with the same surf basically from Nauset Light up to about Longnook.  North of there the surf does change a little bit as the coastline curls around, though it can still be ok through Head of the Meadow where the dunes basically end.  Race Point is basically flat all the time, but still scenic and good fishing. 

North of there is correct,  just don't know the name but I weekday anyways non holiday. Go there after Labor day, water is warmest, crowds are minimal.  Sorry about people who only weekend warrior. It's a different world midweek, sort of like skiing . Been a decade since I was there and never took a shuttle anywhere 

1 minute ago, radarman said:

No bluff at Head of the Meadow.   High bluff ends just south of the parking lot of the townside beach, with the National seashore beach (of the same name) adjacent to the north.  Entry is an easy up and over a small dune.

I’ve only ever parked at the Town parking lot.

24 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

We weren’t anywhere near there . We are in Shore Dr. There was never any mist. I was there. It was fine 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I lived on the beach for 2 years. The mornings start hazy but clear by about 9 in this pattern.  Inland gets CU daily and you watch them from a clear sky at the beach. I like the ocean in July and August as inland lakes get too warm and potential for swimmers ear etc increases. All we wait for is some decent swells. Can't wait.  Its time

The swells will bring me there , 100%

15 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Who sees boomers today?

Kinda watching SW CT. Looks like that part of the state will reside on a higher axis of CAPE. Shear isn't overly strong but there is enough to warrant the potential for a severe thunderstorm with large hail and/or damaging winds. The overall greatest threat is just southwest of the region. Can't even rule out into central CT as well. Some boundaries out there to watch. Could be just enough shear to yield broad supercell structures too.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Friday continues to look rather interesting. Really won't have an idea until mid-week when the system gets off the land but should something develop (depending on exactly where) there isn't a whole lot to really knock this out to sea. If anything, I wonder if that subtle (which is just beginning to amplify) shortwave trough is just enough to even tug it back a bit. Anyways, with that ulvl jet strengthening off to our west we could have a decent amount of divergence aloft so there is window for heavy rains. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah originally it looked like there would be a bit of a kicker to push it OTS but the guidance has been hedging toward more of a hugger if not outright inland solution. Not the prettiest low but I agree on the heavy rain potential. Hopefully we can get a little wind too lol. 

pretty decent LLJ...probably decent pressure gradient too so I'm sure it would be pretty gusty. Not sure of tide situation (in terms of times of high/low tide) but I would wager coastal flooding could be a concern. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah originally it looked like there would be a bit of a kicker to push it OTS but the guidance has been hedging toward more of a hugger if not outright inland solution. Not the prettiest low but I agree on the heavy rain potential. Hopefully we can get a little wind too lol. 

Nice, hopefully another nice stratiform rain event 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

pretty decent LLJ...probably decent pressure gradient too so I'm sure it would be pretty gusty. Not sure of tide situation (in terms of times of high/low tide) but I would wager coastal flooding could be a concern. 

Tides are totally meh

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I mean for my tropical weenie self, the best outcome is something similar to the Euro. Get a coherent 98L center off the SC coast to maximize time for organization and then hook that sucker north. GFS really tries to keep things broad and too close to the coast for any meaningful development.

98L looks surprisingly coherent at the lower levels today despite being this far inland. But it has a long way to go. 

54657478.gif?0.013579329701179144

I could see this becoming tropical very quickly as it emerges off the coast. I doubt it maintains its tropical characteristics though this far north. Waters are just too cool and I think it's going to take it's time moving north. But we would still want to watch for how this evolves off to our south...perhaps we can get a PRE involved.  

• Like 1