Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYE Mess Obs

40/70 Benchmark

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You've been quite the debbie...............lol

LOL.  I've been leery of the ice calls, but was got sucked in because of the uniformity of them.  0.0 ice.  Surprised to see flakes--no sleet.  Not sure if it's transient and we flip back to rain or if we might actually whiten the ground

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

LOL.  I've been leery of the ice calls, but was got sucked in because of the uniformity of them.  0.0 ice.  Surprised to see flakes--no sleet.  Not sure if it's transient and we flip back to rain or if we might actually whiten the ground

Ice was really for the higher elevations though above 1,000', Tough below there.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Wonder if some of you getting slight CF enhancement where it’s cold below 900? That could generate medium flake size. The stuff above you is warm per radar.

The Bufkit soundings for MHT do show a cold magnitude around -6C where decent omega just below that level. That would be my best guess.

Dodged a bullet! Only about 0.3" of ice accretion. We went to sleet around 4-4:30 AM, which is much earlier than a lot of the model guidance had suggested.

There's enough to cause some bending of the tree branches, especially the birches, and cause some twigs to come down. No significant damage or disruptions to power/telecom so far. 

Currently getting some light snow growth beneath the inversion, but the precipitation from aloft is sleet. Kind of weird and there's blowing snow around too.

• Like 1

We just flashed froze here in Ayer.  ...We had a thin sheen of watery sleet on the ground, cars and side-streets at dawn, but temps would not allow it to completely congeal as it was 32 .. 33 at most local Davis' type home-stations.

Just in the last 45 min we're 31.4 (ish) at most sites, and the drizzle/pixie mixture has not only gone pure pixie, there is are small, steady light aggregates of snow accompanying.  The water part of that slop is hardening quite fast! 

The snow ( I surmise ) must be nucleiating below 800 mb if those models were correct.  There is an occasional ping along side the snow, furthering evidence of multi-layer genesis going on aloft.  Fascinating

• Thanks 1