• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
OBS thread 2P Mar 3-10A Mar 4 (snow, possible sleet s fringe)

wdrag

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Central Park measured 3.8 inches at 1 am when it was still snowing heavy. Their peak was probably around 3 am.

I'm sure since then it compressed and melted in half at least. Curious what they'll report. I would guess the peak was 5-6 inches around 2:30, but if they measure this morning at 7am or later it will most likely have compressed and melted to half that or less.

What else is new. Someone tag that guy from DC who says they have a clue. 

Wither way, fitting disappointment here. 4.5" the sleet killed it, LE was there for the taking.

4 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Central Park measured 3.8 inches at 1 am when it was still snowing heavy. Their peak was probably around 3 am.

I'm sure since then it compressed and melted in half at least. Curious what they'll report. I would guess the peak was 5-6 inches around 2:30, but if they measure this morning at 7am or later it will most likely have compressed and melted to half that or less.

Looks like they finished with 5.0”.

At 6:48 AM EST, Central Park [New York (Manhatta Co, NY] ASOS reports SNOW of 5.00 INCH

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Event post-mortem...

Call: 6-10" NYC Metro, north shore LI, NE Jersey, lower Hudson Valley and CT

3-6" with mixing Jersey shore, south shore and the forks.

What worked:  

Lower Hudson Valley, NE Jersey, Connecticut.    Generally aligned with expectations there as dendritic growth was solid, band cranked out 2"/hr snow rates.  Widespread 6-10" totals verify.

The mixing idea along the Jersey shore, south shore and forks held down totals there.  3-6" will verify for many, but barely.

What busted:  Central Park ASOS is reporting 5", which is an inch lower than my forecast.  I consider this a bust for Manhattan, likely a chunk of Queens and the north shore LI pending OKX final storm report. IP line was far just enough north during the  evening we lost snow to sleet, that makes a difference.  That, plus a temp of 33 led to very little accumulation until the band came through.  As a result, busted too high on low end of range for lower Manhattan, northern Brooklyn and I think Queens (though I may squeak by there, 4-8" would've been a better forecast).    I consider SI and south shore Brooklyn as a coastal area, I'm not overly surprised there was less snow and mixing there.

In short, the northward tongue in the mid-levels was battling against some pretty impressive snowfall rates.  Should've been more cautious in LI and in NYC specifically given this is March. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Unofficial measurements of 9-10” here of very heavy and wet snow. Storm overperformed, at least out this way thanks to some pretty intense early morning banding as was alluded to yesterday by myself and some of the others. What also helped is that we had absolutely zero mixing here. Started as snow around 5:30 pm and things really picked up after 7:00.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Even in Orange and Putnam counties, where 8+ fell, the roads were only wet when I drove around before dawn. It's simply that time of the year in the mid-latitudes in the absence of a way BN air mass.

I was watching out the window and within minutes of shoveling the neighbors driveways were wet even with the temp at 28*. Now the sun is coming out and the water is starting to run in the street.

6 minutes ago, jmcrae66 said:

12-14 maybe in Sandy hook, ct

EA49FF53-312E-4BF1-AA8B-86D176C83276.jpeg

Boy it really ramped up just east of me. I saw a few pics from some of the higher ridges between Danbury and you and it's easily over a foot.