• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
OBS thread 2P Mar 3-10A Mar 4 (snow, possible sleet s fringe)

wdrag

19 hours ago, ag3 said:

I only had sleet the last hour in Whitestone. Brooklyn and south shore went over to sleet 2 hours before that. That’s why we ended with 5” instead of 2”.

My roads were completely snow covered with 2”-3” of snow during height of storm and there is still 100% coverage of snow on everything but pavement. The pack is solidified too from the freeze. Will last longer than a typical March storm.

You definitely notice a difference south of the LIE, I have a few inches in many places that’s frozen solid enough to walk on, and mostly complete snow cover. South of the LIE it becomes patchy, and in Long Beach it’s probably nothing but some mall piles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

You definitely notice a difference south of the LIE, I have a few inches in many places that’s frozen solid enough to walk on, and mostly complete snow cover. South of the LIE it becomes patchy, and in Long Beach it’s probably nothing but some mall piles. 

Typical North Shore special snow cover distribution.

43109D8F-659C-4420-B950-EA2D37331C3C.thumb.jpeg.13a702449e3c37e342549447956ccaeb.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 10:36 PM, LibertyBell said:

Well the sample size is pretty small lol.  We're basically talking about two storms, October 2011 and November 2012.  This season's storm they were about equal, which is interesting in and of itself since it involved a changeover.  NYC beat them both in that storm.

But while the Oct 2011 and Nov 2012 storm was going on we had active threads and people were commenting how it was "white raining" at LGA while (especially with the November 2012 storm) there was a nice snow dumping of snow accumulating to their south.  We had around 8" here in that one, a very heavy wet snow with tree branches down everywhere and really bad roads, added disruption after Sandy.  Central NJ had a double digit snowfall with that one, historic for the first week of November!

Yeah, a sample size of 2 is nowhere near large enough to make general statements about JFK getting more than LGA in early season systems.  Also, for Nov-2012, at least in NJ, the snnowfall amounts were mostly related to precip rates, given marginal boundary layer temps, which is why eastern NJ (closer to the low and with more precip) got a lot more than western NJ and why parts of Monmouth/Ocean got the most (12" or more vs. 4-6" in along 95 and much less NW of there, as per the map).  Also, for that storm, Bayside, close to LGA, got 7.9" and CPK got 4.7", so it's not like your 8" was much of an outlier - if I had to guess, southern locations in NYC probably did just a little better than northern locations for the same reason as in NJ - getting higher precip rates and nothing to do with temps.  

https://www.climatecentral.org/news/snowstorm-strikes-northeast-just-one-week-after-hurricane-sandy-15217

NJSnow_20121107.png

• Confused 1

On 3/6/2019 at 11:48 AM, RU848789 said:

Yeah, a sample size of 2 is nowhere near large enough to make general statements about JFK getting more than LGA in early season systems.  Also, for Nov-2012, at least in NJ, the snnowfall amounts were mostly related to precip rates, given marginal boundary layer temps, which is why eastern NJ (closer to the low and with more precip) got a lot more than western NJ and why parts of Monmouth/Ocean got the most (12" or more vs. 4-6" in along 95 and much less NW of there, as per the map).  Also, for that storm, Bayside, close to LGA, got 7.9" and CPK got 4.7", so it's not like your 8" was much of an outlier - if I had to guess, southern locations in NYC probably did just a little better than northern locations for the same reason as in NJ - getting higher precip rates and nothing to do with temps.  

https://www.climatecentral.org/news/snowstorm-strikes-northeast-just-one-week-after-hurricane-sandy-15217

NJSnow_20121107.png

Possibly, but some of our regional spotters who were in the area were reporting a lot of white rain in the area.  I'm not sure where the Bayside spotter is located but if they are even just a mile or two away from the Sound, it could make a huge difference.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:05 AM, jm1220 said:

the mall piles weren't even really that high lol

On 3/6/2019 at 9:37 AM, bluewave said:

Typical North Shore special snow cover distribution.

43109D8F-659C-4420-B950-EA2D37331C3C.thumb.jpeg.13a702449e3c37e342549447956ccaeb.jpeg

this was a really typical snow event in a very typical snowfall season (aside from the fact that most of the snowfalls occurred outside of DJF.)

Friends of mine in Huntington told me they had 8 inches and it was very difficult to shovel.

Meanwhile, I visited my other home (in the Poconos) over the weekend and there's 10"-15" on the ground over there and it's very heavy and hard to move.  I didn't even attempt to shovel my driveway there and just parked on the road and went inside to make sure everything was fine (I only stay in that house during the warm season.)

On 3/4/2019 at 4:32 PM, dmillz25 said:

Those northern Brooklyn/southwestern queens neighborhoods tend to do well with these marginal events. We tend to receive 1-3” more snow than say Coney Island or JFK. Especially last night. As @purduewx80 atested to, we mixed here for literally 30 min tops which probably didn’t cut into snow totals too much. There is a 15 mile difference between here and Coney Island which can prove huge sometimes

There's also some elevation in the Cyprus Hills area.