Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Overrunning Set-Up/Ice Storm 2/5-2/8

Frog Town

3 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I've had my Davis freeze like that a few times. I have two CoCoRaHS  gauges as a manual backup. Sounds like a mess out there. It must be neat to experience a zr thunderstorm.

Yeah I need to get an old fashioned manual gauge for a backup for situations like this.  Radar estimates between 0.50-0.75" fell from the QC right up the I-88 corridor.  To be honest I wasn't all that excited about this event, but it turned out to be a fairly memorable event.  

12hr radar estimated QPF.

f1gnlf.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah I need to get an old fashioned manual gauge for a backup for situations like this.  Radar estimates between 0.50-0.75" fell from the QC right up the I-88 corridor.  To be honest I wasn't all that excited about this event, but it turned out to be a fairly memorable event.  

12hr radar estimated QPF.

f1gnlf.jpg

Fun little event, icing potential really was knocked back by rainfall rate. That level of moisture spread over a few hours would have been quite the ice storm, but tropical style freezing rain in February is a solid fallback. 

We've picked up a glaze of ice and a trace of sleet so far, but it's still icy. Round two is looking like it could be a heavy burst of snow tomorrow morning/afternoon across Iowa, though the NAM isn't fully onboard yet. The rest of the models look good to at least get the grass white again. 

Just now, Hoosier said:

Based on reports from LOT, it looks like there was a band of about .10-.25" ice west and north of Chicago.  Somebody in Dekalb reported .25" and the Waukegan ASOS had 0.28" as freezing rain. 

Yeah, I had approximately .20” imby. Plus we had an extended burst of sleet at some point, so secondary roads were an iced over slush mess. 

MKX's forecast for Madison tonight!

Freezing rain, possibly mixed with sleet. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy fog before 7pm. Low around 26. East wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.2 of an inch possible. Little or no sleet accumulation expected.

Let's keep the streak of cold seasons (November-March) with at least one thunder event going!

445 PM     HAIL             KICKAPOO                40.80N 89.75W   
02/06/2019  M0.25 INCH       PEORIA             IL   PUBLIC            

PEA SIZED HAIL COVERING THE ROAD DEEP ENOUGH TO SEND CARS  
            INTO THE DITCHES. RELAYED VIA WMBD-TV MEDIA.  

• Like 1

Very slippery, icy morning here. The ice hung on the trees until late in the day. Now just wet and damp out. My area was almost all freezing rain, whereas to the north there was a crunchy coating of sleet.

The ice accretion was similar to the Apr 15, 2018 ice storm. We rarely seem to get ice storms anymore, so unusual to get 2 in less than 1 year.

51571787_10111142248790923_6773846630534

51240425_10111142947076553_5264058097189

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

The temp hasn't been any warmer than 32 all night, but it looks like the rain that fell didn't freeze.  Not only that, but the ice on the trees has also mostly melted/fallen off.  

you finally got screwed by a weather event. Welcome to the club.:lol: I'm guessing your good for another 20 inches or so before St. Paddy's Day

• Like 1