Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

8 minutes ago, attml said:

For what it is worth the current Bay water temp is 43.9 degrees at Thomas Point Lighthouse.  It was 59.4 degrees on 11/01/18.   That is only a 15.5 degree drop in over 2 months.  By contrast last year it was 33.1 degrees at Thomas Point Light on 1/6/18 and Round Bay (the widest point of the Severn River had frozen all the way across by 1/4/18 and their were people walking on the ice by 1/7/18).  That is a 10 degree swing!  If we have any marginally cold storms the bay being 10 years warmer could have an impact.  Come on cold weather!

10 years of heat is gonna take a while to cool sounds like.

18 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Don't need a deathband when its snowing at 21-22 degrees :D 

Fluff factor in full effect :guitar:

Yea man, storm personalities vary so much depending on temps/rates/dendritic snow growth etc. Some like paste bombs but my favorite will always be instant stickage high ratio fluff. Reminds me of my colorado years. Jan 2016 was amazing in that department. Beat all 3 09-10 storm totals in my yard but what made it really special was instant stickage and excellent ratios throughout.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Last storm had a major north jump. Charlottesville went from 2-4” to a 1’.

just not enough of a bump north for most of us.  I ended up with an inch and half in Opal, VA (Just south of Warrenton)  and I'm about 55 miles north of CHO

50 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

Y’all go ahead and reel this one in. It’s a stepdown process. Where’s Chuck with that 84hr NAM? Still showing some blocking?

It's all part of my master plan to build up the MA snow pack so that cold air masses just skate down from the north with no moderation.:sled:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PCT_ATC said:

just not enough of a bump north for most of us.  I ended up with an inch and half in Opal, VA (Just south of Warrenton)  and I'm about 55 miles north of CHO

Right, but it was a 150 mile north bump in the last 36 hours, so it ended up helping the southern half of the subforum very much.  Very tight gradient, though, you are correct on that. 

That must have been 2 storms ago, at least.  Last storm, Charlottesville went from forecast of 1-2" a day before only to end up getting 8-12". (12/9/18)

That’s the one I meant, just might’ve got the numbers slightly wrong. The closest reporting station to my dorm measured 12.3”, might’ve only been a 1-2” forecast beforehand, idk.

Gefs looks less suppressive though. The height field relaxed some over the east. And there isn't like a ton of big NC snows in the members. It was just weaker with the system overall. If either the stj or NS systems trend stronger this time i think it hits. The flow isn't that suppressive. It will squash some weak sauce Vort but if it's amped coming into the east like last time (or most systems the last several months) it won't get forced under that much. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Gefs looks less suppressive though. The height field relaxed some over the east. And there isn't like a ton of big NC snows in the members. It was just weaker with the system overall. If either the stj or NS systems trend stronger this time i think it hits. The flow isn't that suppressive. It will squash some weak sauce Vort but if it's amped coming into the east like last time (or most systems the last several months) it won't get forced under that much. 

Regardless, it cut down on both precip and snowfall. Precip most notably. A bit surprising given the shorter lead and typical op "hive" clustering. 

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

cold on the gefs at the end. 

IMG_8244.thumb.PNG.414b7fbaa9a594c63271f78b50be84aa.PNGIMG_8243.thumb.PNG.39374cd46bf55ddc1c81efdcab671f6f.PNG

That is a stable triple trough alignment with high latitude blocking. That pattern can stick around a while.  It's as hard to break down as a crap one that is stable, locked in, and fully supported by the global pattern drivers. 

Is that the fabled 'ridge bridge'?

9 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Is that the fabled 'ridge bridge'?

Not the one that we've talked about a lot recently. It was the Scandinavian to AK ridge with the tpv trapped under it and wobbling all over eastern Canada. Also responsible for prolific snow during a raging +nao when we shouldnt have gotten much snow at all. 

If the full latitude trough and towering +pna/-epo ridge verifies there could be a monster storm in the cards for the east coast or Appalachians sometime later this month. Ens are going that way and now ops are starting to show it in fantasyland

fv3p_z500a_nhem_65.png

I'm looking forward to the first op run showing h5 closing off in the deep south and going haywire with some sort of extreme solution. Fv3 isn't that far off from the idea. Need leads to shorten and the look to hold so maybe later this week. Might get a weenie hall of fame op run here shortly

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Anyone extrapolating the NAM tonight? I’ll see myself out

Lol wouldn’t be the end of the world. I will say this caught my attention just in the essence that I’ve seen quite a few people diss the Canadian here lately. The Canadian nailed my 14” storm back in early December down this way so... 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic