• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2019

Upstate Tiger

Looking at overnight and morning modeling, the potential system in the gulf, regardless of development, looks like it could bring a widespread beneficial rain to the area. Outside of a few areas east of the Triangle, this has been an underwhelming tropical rainfall season, obviously, and these systems are the ones we rely on during the dry summer months so if we can get this thing in the region I suspect some areas can make a good dent in recent rainfall deficits

Wow, the storm this weekend has really trended west, towards the Euro solution, on the GFS from earlier runs this week. What looked like a washout may end up no rain at all in central NC. It does however stall out the boundary and re-form precipitation over the area early next week. Definitely trending towards an amped low in the MS valley for the system this weekend though

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Wow, the storm this weekend has really trended west, towards the Euro solution, on the GFS from earlier runs this week. What looked like a washout may end up no rain at all in central NC. It does however stall out the boundary and re-form precipitation over the area early next week. Definitely trending towards an amped low in the MS valley for the system this weekend though

What about temps?

13 hours ago, Wow said:

Euro and GFS agreeing on a strong Greenland block for early Nov

Euro @ 240

281hAuz.png

GFS @ 240

bl6nqY9.png

Would be nice but I honestly can't buy it, I think I've become a complete cynic when it comes to cold around here. I think this winter will end up a repeat of last year without the early Dec storm. We've been above average for so long it doesn't seem like there's any pattern that can deliver below normal for more than a random day or two.

18 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Would be nice but I honestly can't buy it, I think I've become a complete cynic when it comes to cold around here. I think this winter will end up a repeat of last year without the early Dec storm. We've been above average for so long it doesn't seem like there's any pattern that can deliver below normal for more than a random day or two.

I agree with your overall point, but less than two years ago we had a generational 10-day cold spell in NC at least.  We've had three or four equivalent warm spells though.. 

1 hour ago, PackGrad05 said:

I remember RDU went multiple days without getting above 32..  it was crazy.  Couple years ago I think.  The pond behind my house froze more solid than I've ever seen it!  (and it rarely freezes as it is)

It was at the tail end of December 2017 and the beginning of January 2018.  RDU set their record for most consecutive hours below 32F:  Just under 10 days.  Some areas of the  Pamlico/Albemarle sounds froze.  Got down to 0 F at my house in Wilson, which is quite an accomplishment.

I think we may have a chance at our first freeze Monday morning. Given a favorable HP placement, light winds, and low DP this is a VERY favorable setup for maximum radiational cooling. Most models over-do nighttime temps at this range in these setups as well. This wouldn't be much behind our long terms average first freeze, either. Would be interesting to get a freeze before a frost if that came to fruition!

monday12z.png

Random but does anyone else think Halloween is a storm magnet holiday? Seems the days surrounding 10/31 almost always feature something interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if plateau counties in my state see some wrap around flurry action. Even if there's phantom in nature...par for the course given the timing.

• Wow unpinned and locked this topic