Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

13 minutes ago, Greg said:

"I will let you enjoy a 10"-15" snowstorm direct hit in the heart of your viewing area only if I make all of next winter a dead rather." "Deal or no deal" as Howie would say. Would you take that deal?

No deal. That would be like taking $100,000 when one million, 500,000 and a 25,000 were left on the board. Gamble on that look. 

I'll roll the dice going forward this winter that we will score at least two of those 10-15" storms. You'd probably sucker a lot of people taking that bet though because of the frustrating December.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

What a weenie spot Alex is in in Bretton Woods, Every time i check his cam its snowing.....................:snowman:

http://1800cam.ddns.net:8155/stream.jpg

The upslope zone... most of these are light amounts but like we've always said, it seems to always be snowing.  Sometimes you expect it, sometimes you don't. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

The upslope zone... most of these are light amounts but like we've always said, it seems to always be snowing.  Sometimes you expect it, sometimes you don't. 

You may as well be speaking Japanese because that's foreign territory here...................:lol:

Just now, powderfreak said:

Alex does have one of the best live cams I've seen from a spot that typifies the classic upslope zone experience, at a high elevation but yet valley location. 

Yeah, Its cool though to see, When i ride up in the Mahoosucs in the winter time, It can be a daily occurrence  there too.

55 minutes ago, dryslot said:

What a weenie spot Alex is in in Bretton Woods, Every time i check his cam its snowing.....................:snowman:

http://1800cam.ddns.net:8155/stream.jpg

Haha yes. Keep in mind, it's pretty light most of the time. But the nightly inches do add up. Surprisingly moderate tonight, about 3/4" so far

9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Paranormal GFS anecdotally seems worse than the gfs op for these parts. I’m mobile but wonder how it’s doing around the northern hemisphere.

Actually the FV3 is outperforming the GFS (but trailing the Euro and UKMet) through day 6, but the GFS is winning at days 8 and 10. :o

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

No deal. That would be like taking $100,000 when one million, 500,000 and a 25,000 were left on the board. Gamble on that look. 

I'll roll the dice going forward this winter that we will score at least two of those 10-15" storms. You'd probably sucker a lot of people taking that bet though because of the frustrating December.  

I'm not looking at records, but based only on my memory, December in SNE is not usually a snow-filled month for most. Northern MA around Sterling, and the Berks, as well as far NW CT usually do ok, but to me, January and February are winter for most of SNE. Even in a good cold winter, we see a lot of cold weather patterns that get "ruined" by a cutter or two. 

7 minutes ago, NECT said:

I'm not looking at records, but based only on my memory, December in SNE is not usually a snow-filled month for most. Northern MA around Sterling, and the Berks, as well as far NW CT usually do ok, but to me, January and February are winter for most of SNE. Even in a good cold winter, we see a lot of cold weather patterns that get "ruined" by a cutter or two. 

Was there some good December’s though from 2004 for a few or several years?  We moved here in August that year and I remember December not being such a buzzkill as it seems it’s been recently....last December has snow though and that cold....holy S

5 hours ago, ice1972 said:

Was there some good December’s though from 2004 for a few or several years?  We moved here in August that year and I remember December not being such a buzzkill as it seems it’s been recently....last December has snow though and that cold....holy S

We had some big decembers in 2005, 2007, 2008, and 2010...and before you moved in 2002 and 2003. So yeah, you are right. We've been pretty unlucky in December in the 2010s but we were kind of due after the 2000s. We've been making up for it with big Marches recently which ironically were pretty crappy for a decent stretch between 2006 and 2012. So things tend to swing back and forth. 

We're paying the piper early on this year. Even patterns like between 12/22 and about January 7th this winter should usually produce maybe one event but we might get skunked...sometimes that just happens. We ended up on the wrong side of the gradient...but that was always a risk.