• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

While I share the idea that we’ll likely do better vs what history shows, that statistic should give us some pause.  It looks like 1955 and 2014 are the above, one nino and I believe 1955-56 was nina?  I’m not completely sold we turn it around but the modeling looks good so let’s give it 3 weeks.

15 minutes ago, weathafella said:

While I share the idea that we’ll likely do better vs what history shows, that statistic should give us some pause.  It looks like 1955 and 2014 are the above, one nino and I believe 1955-56 was nina?  I’m not completely sold we turn it around but the modeling looks good so let’s give it 3 weeks.

Gonna lay this out there with full confidence. Patience Grasshopper

" forecasters still feel that the second half of January into the middle of February is when winter will really kick in, but there is a possibility that the colder parts of the jet stream stay locked in Canada and we don’t end up with prolonged cold or snow "

Even though everyone and his brother believes that peak climo will be something special it only takes a couple of wide-rights and it's done. I'll take under...

5 minutes ago, kdxken said:

" forecasters still feel that the second half of January into the middle of February is when winter will really kick in, but there is a possibility that the colder parts of the jet stream stay locked in Canada and we don’t end up with prolonged cold or snow "

Even though everyone and his brother believes that peak climo will be something special it only takes a couple of wide-rights and it's done. I'll take under...

good luck

Earthlights interpretation of the Weeklies over at 33andrain https://www.33andrain.com/topic/1520-eastern-us-dec-2018-consolidated-discussion-obs/?do=findComment&comment=113318

earthlight said:

ECMWF WEEKLIES 12/27 REVIEW (NORTHEAST US) .....very impressed at first look

WEEK 1 | Hints of SE Ridging, Cold Air into Central US, -NAO

Temps: Above Normal

Precip: Above Normal

Change: Slightly Warmer

WEEK 2 | Major W NHEM Ridging, Troughing into East

Temps: Below Normal 

Precip: Normal

Change: Slightly Colder

WEEK 3 | -EPO and -AO Develops,  More Troughing in East

Precip: Normal

Change: Much Colder

WEEK 4 | Poleward -EPO Continues, -NAO Develops

Precip: Above Normal

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No, I made it pretty clear that there would not be a blockbuster before that date.

You love to make passive aggressive inferences that I am not specific enough with my calls, but I disagree.....calling blockbusters within two weeks at several months lead is pretty fair.

Happy holidays.

No passive aggressive here Ray. My point was a blockbuster is not out of the question before everyone's Armageddon period. Happy holidays to you :-) 

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

My life was never altered in a negative way by ratter winters nor did it get qualitatively better with epicosity.

Ive been skimming this thread every few days for some insight into when this December torture might end lol, but I must comment that this quote is a masterpiece. This is summed up perfectly. I love snow more than anybody I know, but a terrible Winter will not alter my life in any way. Likewise, with as many record snowy winters as we have had in recent years, it's not like that has made my life better, just gives me some enjoyment.  I think most get that, but some of them.....I don't know.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

Ive been skimming this thread every few days for some insight into when this December torture might end lol, but I must comment that this quote is a masterpiece. This is summed up perfectly. I love snow more than anybody I know, but a terrible Winter will not alter my life in any way. Likewise, with as many record snowy winters as we have had in recent years, it's not like that has made my life better, just gives me some enjoyment.  I think most get that, but some of them.....I don't know.

My life is better by waking up on this side of the grass everyday however as I have stated many times, my lifetime snow/cold combo goal was Feb 1934 so with 2015 I am satiated in that regard, it's all a bonus now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

'57-'58 was 44.7 which was normal. As close as 128, there was like 80+. ORH had 2.2" going into New Years and finished with 97.5". That was a mod/strong Niño so not quite the same but it was the classic January Niño pattern flip. That seems to be the key in El Niño if December rats out on us. We will see if this one actually flips as advertised. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

My life is better by waking up on this side of the grass everyday however as I have stated many times, my lifetime snow/cold combo goal was Feb 1934 so with 2015 I am satiated in that regard, it's all a bonus now.

I have the same goal, waking on this side of the grass! Our historic winter was 2013-14, will never be topped. And i dont expect it to be. No matter how many good winters are had, it doesnt make it fun to experience a crappy one, but it should have no more affect you on a personal level.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

I have the same goal, waking on this side of the grass! Our historic winter was 2013-14, will never be topped. And i dont expect it to be. No matter how many good winters are had, it doesnt make it fun to experience a crappy one, but it should have no more affect you on a personal level.

Skiing however is personal to me so there is definitely an affect at some level. Only a few things make me happier on a totally selfish level 

I feel like I will never top 07-08. Steve feels like he will never top Feb 15. Josh feels like he will never top 13-14.

That may all be true, but there’s something to be said that we’ve seen these historical stretches all over the last decade. In other words, never say never. I’ll keep holding out hope for eclipsing 12ft someday.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I feel like I will never top 07-08. Steve feels like he will never top Feb 15. Josh feels like he will never top 13-14.

That may all be true, but there’s something to be said that we’ve seen these historical stretches all over the last decade. In other words, never say never. I’ll keep holding out hope for eclipsing 12ft someday.

Agree.

2015 was pretty crazy here but I have to think that there's a chance of a true wall-to-wall winter where things start early and basically lock in for three months. Maybe the brief interruption a few times but then quickly back to deep winter and repeated hits and/or stalled out storms that last 3 days. One can dream. :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

What is Northfields #1 winter climo snow total?

2 minutes ago, rimetree said:

2015 was pretty crazy here but I have to think that there's a chance of a true wall-to-wall winter where things start early and basically lock in for three months. Maybe the brief interruption a few times but then quickly back to deep winter and repeated hits and/or stalled out storms that last 3 days. One can dream. :)

We all hold out for the perfect winter...dendrite is correct. We're waiting for the '95-'96 without the late January meltdown or the '14-'15 with a great December. We know it is physically possible so eventually we're bound to get it. It might be in 500 years long after we're dead many times over and we've geoengineered CO2 out of the atmosphere or maybe it is in 7,000 years as we're entering the next ice age....and then 100 years later that perfect winter looks like a torch in comparison. 

But regardless, we all wait for it and hope that the next winter is the one. Just like we wait for some sort of 1888 stalled frontal boundary that then bombs a storm on the benchmark except even more moisture that gives us 60" of snow. 

• Like 2